Detent cable concerns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
I am shopping around for a new detent cable since mine is broken on one end, and laying on my intake manifold. I have a 2004R trransmission in my '84 Cutlass. I found some on ebay, but they say they fit 2004R & 700R4 transmissions. That kinda concerned me... So are they actually interchangable? I just don't want to buy something that isn't going to work for me. With all the different versions of the 2004R, are there different detent cables? I know I there are a lot of differently "coded" 200's out there. Do they all use the same cable?

Mitch

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
84Hurst/Olds said:
I am shopping around for a new detent cable since mine is broken on one end, and laying on my intake manifold. I have a 2004R trransmission in my '84 Cutlass. I found some on ebay, but they say they fit 2004R & 700R4 transmissions. That kinda concerned me... So are they actually interchangable? I just don't want to buy something that isn't going to work for me. With all the different versions of the 2004R, are there different detent cables? I know I there are a lot of differently "coded" 200's out there. Do they all use the same cable?

Mitch
They will work on either the 700r4 or the 2004r.One word of caution though, Don't drive that car with a broken TV cable or you will cook that transmission!! 8)

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well see thats what people have told me, but I have been driving it like this since I got it. :lol: It isn't the best idea, I agree. But if it was going to do any damage, it would have done it by now. I got the car when I was 15 back in 2006. When I install it, how do I go about adjusting it? I will be getting it today from the parts store. Had one in stock for $6.99. Cant beat that.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
are you sure it's a 200-r4? for one it's not a "detente cable" it's a throttle valve cable. and given the way the 200-R4 and TV cable works, there's no way it survived for years.
also, a TV cable is more like $30 and usually hard to find.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well Im positive its a 2004R. I know what kind of transmission I have in my car. I have pulled it and replaced my front seal, and the transmission filter. And there are two cables that hook to my carburetor. One is my throttle cable. And the other is a cable that runs down to my 2004R. It hasn't been hooked up since I have the car. And it has lasted since I bought it. I don't drive it everyday. I would say I've only driven it for 15,000 miles over five years. But I have taken it on 2 hour trips on the interstate, and ran it hard with no burnt up transmission. It just shifts later than it should. I thought $6.99 was very cheap too because all the other prices I found were around $30.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Maybe that price was for a detent (aka kick down) cable....and not the T.V. cable......YOu are a lucky one to not have fried that transmission by now...I'm actually shocked :?:

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well there is only one cable on the car. What is the difference between a kickdown, or a TV, or a Detent? Because on ebay the cable I was looking at uses all those terms interchangably. The name of the listing was "2004R 700R4 Kickdown Detent TV cable."

Heres a pic of one that I'm talking about.

So what would be the technical name of this?

Attachments

• Kickdown.jpg
    Kickdown.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 3,049

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
84Hurst/Olds said:
Well there is only one cable on the car. What is the difference between a kickdown, or a TV, or a Detent? Because on ebay the cable I was looking at uses all those terms interchangably. The name of the listing was "2004R 700R4 Kickdown Detent TV cable."

Heres a pic of one that I'm talking about.

So what would be the technical name of this?
The kickdown cable was for the turbo 350/400 transmission's what the cable did was kick down the transmission from 3rd to 2nd.....aka the "Passing Gear"... The T.V. cable is more inportant then that as it is involved in all shifts in your o/d transmission. Here check out this link it should help you out and answer your questions on how to adjust your cable http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
It's a TV cable on the TH-200 and TH-2004R. It not only controls the downshifts but all of the transmissions line pressure as well.

Where as on the older transmissions (TH-350/TH-400, etc.) it was a detent cable and only controlled the downshifting of the transmission. All other functions (for the most part) were controlled with a vacuum modulator.

How does your transmission shift now? Does it rev really high before shifting into the next gear? They actually designed them like this so that the owner of a car would know something is wrong, like a broken cable and have them serviced before they fried the trans.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
FE3X CLONE said:
It's a TV cable on the TH-200 and TH-2004R. It not only controls the downshifts but all of the transmissions line pressure as well.

Where as on the older transmissions (TH-350/TH-400, etc.) it was a detent cable and only controlled the downshifting of the transmission. All other functions (for the most part) were controlled with a vacuum modulator.

How does your transmission shift now? Does it rev really high before shifting into the next gear? They actually designed them like this so that the owner of a car would know something is wrong, like a broken cable and have them serviced before they fried the trans.

Yes thats exactly what it does! First shift feels pretty normal. But after that, it revs highger than it should, and shifts real late. I plan on getting it fixed as soon as possible. I was just trying to understand how it worked a little bit better.

And thanks for the adjustment information. I think I can get this taken care of now. Just gotta go to the parts store and make sure that is what they ordered for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor