HELP Diagnosing- not sure where to start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
There is a little tube with a clear dielectric looking grease that comes with the module (or should) that gets smeared on the metal side that goes down when it bolts in. I have seen premature failures on modules that were dry when removed for replacement.

Not sure if that's there as a heat barrier or not but that's what I've observed.

Hutch
It acts as a heat sink.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I know everyone is pointing at the coil and such but did you check to see if your getting fuel? Or a plugged fuel filter/ pump?

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Try using a HEI spark checker. Not a regular spark checker, it must be the HEI version.

The black carbon sounds like rich fouling which could be weak ignition.

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Negative ghost rider on that dielectric grease.... thats an insultator thats used mainly to keep electrical connections clean and moisture free, what you need is heat sinking grease for that ICM.
Thanks. that's why I phrased it as "dielectric looking". It was the best I could describe it as to get the point across. I do know a little plastic tube of it used to come in the box with the module.

It acts as a heat sink.
That's what I was leaning towards. Thanks.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Does your 305 use a carb or a TBI system? And is the CCC controller system all there and still functioning as it should?

Nick

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Should've said this in my post^^^when it rears it's ugly head, that's the time to troubleshoot. Agreed don't dismiss that it could be fuel but that's why we troubleshoot.

I didn't think it did but if this car is stock, was TBI available on the 305 in a G-body platform?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Should've said this in my post^^^when it rears it's ugly head, that's the time to troubleshoot. Agreed don't dismiss that it could be fuel but that's why we troubleshoot.

I didn't think it did but if this car is stock, was TBI available on the 305 in a G-body platform?
No, TBI was only available on V6 engines for G bodies.

• Wow

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
And that is why I phrased my sentence as a question. Now, for myself, at least I know that he is dealing with a Q-jet/bog, probably the electronic version, and that the distributor should be matched to that carb, meaning that it possesses no internal timing advance mechanism, and that the CCC unit is likely to be intact? and working??

Where I am going with this is that I agree that fire, or lack thereof, seems to be the culprit. However, the distributor may be only part of the problem, since it is the CCC that delivers the signals for advance or retard.

So, yeah, as already suggested, swap out that module for a good new one, do the same for the cap and rotor as jic insurance, replace or rebuild that damaged connector, and then whack the key and see what happens. If your test drive goes smooth, then you have solved your problem. if not, then you will have to dig deeper and that might mean looking at things such as the throttle position sensor on the carb; the little gizmo that sends a signal to the CCC that the primary throttle plates have moved beyond the idle circuit and that more ignition advance is needed to keep the engine running.

Nick

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor