Diff Damage Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Huh? What vehicle has the speedo cable going to the rear end? Never too old to learn, eh Steve?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think chrysler was the first one to do it so they can change the gearing in the truck and never have to recalibrate the speedo gear..I saw it on the rear end at a friends shop and asked him about it cause I had no idea what it was for...he says they are junk and always break

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
I have seen this several times. This is the results of the pinion lock nut backing almost completely off. Funny thing is it would of started making noise way before this point.You will always have a noise with these gears because they were drivin for a long period of time before the prob was half corrected. When ya get sick of the noise scrap the whole rear axl assembly.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sooo, how would the ABS system know that the rear wheels were locking up? Are there sensors up front for reference?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Yup. Later cars had sensors on all 4 corners for the ABS / traction control.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
The sensor is in the rear case mounted above the reluctor wheel. When the reluctor wheel passes by the sensor it creates and ac signal which in turn goes to the EBCM. The EBCM then throws out an ouput to which activates the anti lock brake modulater.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am familiar with 4-corner sensors. But that gear mounted sensor is news to me. I guess the engineers try stuff out then refine as they go along.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Ford has used it on the Ranger platform forever. Seen it break away from the carrier before, so everytime now before i condem a sensor I pry on the reluctor wheel after removing the sensor to make sure its not broken away from the carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor