difference in tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
Hey guys i have been reading into fuel pumps for ls swaps and everyone seems to be putting in a efi tanks
My question is what is the difference between efi and none efi tanks? could i put a electric fuel pump in my stock cutlass tank with a sending unit from a gn?

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
There's a "bucket" in the bottom of the tank that acts like a baffle. It keeps the fuel around the pump inlet (sort of) instead of sloshing around.
Use a listing for a GN or TBI 4.3 Monte.

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Holley makes 'fuel mat' in a variety of shapes. Not cheap, and some customization of the pickup tube is needef, but if a baffled replacement tank is not available, that's an option.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Issue with running a carb tank on efi is that a carb car can not have fuel flow for a second or two in turns and the engine wont notice since the carb has the slight reservoir in it. An efi car will loose fuel pressure instantly if the pump sucks in air. The baffling/"can" in the EFI tank keeps fuel where its needed during accel, turns, and breaking.

Many wagon people will swap an astrovan efi sender in the stock tank (without baffling) and its mostly OK but that is due to little to no options for EFI tanks on those cars. A wagon tank is taller and narrower than a coupe tank so the fuel doesnt slosh around as bad.

I ran an external fuel pump on my LS car with stock sendor and carb tank and below 1/3 tank it would suck air and loose fuel pressure. The coupe/4dr tank is so flat and wide that a little sloshing can expose the fuel inlet easily.

The efi tanks new are so affordable (a lot of the time under $150) and most old tanks are bad enough anyways that the tank is an easy decision to replace. I think I got my fuel sender off rock auto cheapest, the tank off some ebay seller for like $65 with shipping during their 15% promo they had last year and a walbro 350 in tank pump cheaper than it would have cost to go with a good external pump and a fuel mat that goes in the tank like the holley stuff mentioned earlier.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor