Differential

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEEN-CHA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2014
Ok, since F-Body forum is a ghost town I'll try my luck here. I found an '87 GTA 9-bolt 3:42 rear end to put in my '91 firebird. I'm in the process of restoring it, bearings,seals,brake lines,calipers, rotors, paint. I have a couple questions. I called up a company called the right stuff near Columbus Ohio that bends metal break lines for cars. They need to know if this rear end is an HD (heavy duty) or not. How can I tell? (There's no tag on the cover of this rear end to give me any info what so ever.)
2nd question: there's a nipple on top of rear end above the driver side axel. What's its function, and should it have a cap on it?
vymuhyne.jpg

usavanem.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
not sure on the HD question.

That nipple is going to be an axle vent - equalizes pressure as the air in the axle housing heats/cools. It likely should have a rubber hose that climbs up and is attached to the undercar at some point. The car end of the hose would have a plastic vent cap of some sort.

SEEN-CHA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2014
Awesome, thanks a lot for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor