HELP Disc Brake Conversion Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I see what you are saying Dave. Put in the Express van master cylinder, but put the caprice reservoir on top so that it is angled.

Jim, do you have a part number for that Riviera master. Does that have a 1 1/8' bore as well? I looked at RockAuto, and the ones I saw have a 24 mm bore. What makes them work better?

Streetbu, bleeders are on top. I even unbolted the caliper to make sure that the bleeder was at the very top when I bled them.

See post #32 for the part numbers. Read the rest for the issues I had and resolved.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you go 1.0" bore, do the right hand drive 2000 S10 master cylinder.

It's aluminum and newer. It should bolt onto your stock booster.
Good luck finding that particular part number. I don't know what it cross-references to, but that's a discontinued part with no supersessions in the GMSPO. Many places that still advertise it have 0 in stock.

O'reilly Auto Parts says they have a rebuilt cast iron RH drive unit for a 2000 S-10 under p/n 10-90572 but it comes without a reservoir.

• Sad

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Jim, after looking at RockAuto I saw that the Riviera has two different masters, one for rear drum and one for rear disc. The rear disc version reservoir is huge - I get it now! The price is a little more reasonable than the Express van's master, plus I won't have to pay another $20 for a new reservoir for that model. Again, I would like to thank everyone for all of the great information to be found here.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Lastly, the proportioning vave swap was almost definitely unneeded. When I changed from the stock prop valve to an aftermarket disc/disc valve it had almost no effect on braking.

God luck - Jim
That’s interesting. When I put rear discs on my car they locked up prematurely and it was dangerous to drive under hard braking. I installed the El Dorado proportioning valve which fixed it.

Reactions: 3 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I like the S10 MC with the screw on cap, and summit has them in stock by the way, but I already have the plate for the Motive Power bleeder that works with the flat cap style master. I wouldn't be able to bleed the brakes without another adapter. I'm starting to feel a little bad about the amount of money I'm throwing at this thing, and it still isn't drivable yet. Getting the brakes right on this this is a bigger pain than the front coil springs. I just ordered the Riviera master from RockAuto. I hope this gets the job done, or I might find myself in divorce court. Although I'm sure my wife would rather go for a fast ride in a car with functioning brakes!

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I like the S10 MC with the screw on cap, and summit has them in stock by the way, but I already have the plate for the Motive Power bleeder that works with the flat cap style master. I wouldn't be able to bleed the brakes without another adapter. I'm starting to feel a little bad about the amount of money I'm throwing at this thing, and it still isn't drivable yet. Getting the brakes right on this this is a bigger pain than the front coil springs. I just ordered the Riviera master from RockAuto. I hope this gets the job done, or I might find myself in divorce court. Although I'm sure my wife would rather go for a fast ride in a car with functioning brakes!
If you're talking about the RH drive S10 MC, you would be incorrect. Summit shows "not available". Like everyone else does. Even ACDelco website shows what it is and application, but no place to get it.

Now, they may have a LH drive one that would work, but you'd have to redo your brake lines to your combination valve since they'd be facing the inboard side.

They DO list them as being, or had been, available by the 6 pack as well (bulk) but I cannot locate a part number for that.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Yeah, I see that now. I definitely don't want to do that. It looks like there is one on amazon and ebay that are RH drive, but I went with the RIV master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor