Distributer help 87’ Olds 307

Dktalee442

n00b
Dec 30, 2022

I know 1000 distributor questions have been asked on this forum but I’d really like a response from someone more knowledgeable about this then I.

I purchased a HEI distributor for my 87 cutlass. All the emission stuff has been removed, no computer. Pretty much a carb and 12 volts. When I removed the old Distributor I didn’t mark anything like I should have. I should have watched a video before not after. However from my knowledge getting base timing. To get it the car started I need the rotor to be pointing at the number one cylinder TDC on a compression stroke? Another issue I’m having is the balancer has a timing mark. But the metal bracket that reads the degrees is bent out of shape. So I need to find a way to get the correct 0* TDC. My next issue is wiring the distributor. I know I need a eng/Tach wired up. The distributor I pulled off had a factory plug I needed to disconnect. Would this harness have a tach and a eng wire? I know it needs to be a keyed wire so it shuts off when I turn the car off. From my understanding I should be able to use a pink wire. My next question is what gauge wire should I use for my splices. 12ga should be fine right? Or does my eng wire need to be a thicker gauge? Another issue I’m having is the placement of the spark plugs. I know the firing order so can I place my number 1 plug anywhere on the distributor as long as I follow the firing order?

I purchased a HEI distributor for my 87 cutlass. All the emission stuff has been removed, no computer. Pretty much a carb and 12 volts.
OK, first things first...what distributor did you purchase? From where, what brand, what part number, what engine or application? Is your engine still the original 307 V8?

Let's see a pic or two of what you're working with.

The original distributor would have been *computer* controlled, which means without the ECM there isn't going to be any timing advance because it has no vacuum or mechanical advance functionality. Did you get a hold of an older Olds V8 distributor, like from the 1970's era, or aftermarket/performance one for that era engine without any computer control?

Non Computer Control Distributor, notice the vacuum advance canister.
1723687081609.png

Computer Controlled Distributor, notice no vacuum advance and has the computer four wire plug connector.

1723687597018.png

To get it the car started I need the rotor to be pointing at the number one cylinder TDC on a compression stroke?
Yes, of course that is your starting point always. Locate #1 cylinder, pull that spark plug and rotate the engine by hand or with a bump starter button until you get compression then continue until you're at TDC (0 degrees) on the timing marks at front of engine balancer.

Another issue I’m having is the balancer has a timing mark. But the metal bracket that reads the degrees is bent out of shape. So I need to find a way to get the correct 0* TDC.
Well, you simply need to find an undamaged one, and replace it since everything else pretty much hinges off it being in place and being accurate. You can also carefully, using various methods confirm the #1 piston is at the TOP of the cylinder, then make a mark (like with some paint/dye marker etc) down by the balancer. As long as you have a 0 degree reference on the balancer you can later use that with a DIAL BACK type Timing Light to set your initial timing.

If you don't have a dial back timing light (knob on the back, or digital style) there are plenty of videos on those and how to use them.

My next issue is wiring the distributor. I know I need a eng/Tach wired up. The distributor I pulled off had a factory plug I needed to disconnect. Would this harness have a tach and a eng wire? I know it needs to be a keyed wire so it shuts off when I turn the car off. From my understanding I should be able to use a pink wire.
What happened to the original PINK wire and TACH wire (if equipped) that connected to the original distributor? You should be able to use both original wires for a distributor that isn't computer controlled. Hopefully they weren't cut from the engine harness? They should be in the harness that runs over by the brake booster, under the wiper motor and back of the fuse panel at the firewall, know as C100.

Terminal D4 = PINK HEI IGN FEED
Terminal A7 = WHITE TACHOMETER (with gauges cluster)

1723688255985.png

Yes, the HEI Ignition feed for the distributor (coil) is fed directly from the IGN SWITCH on the steering column.

They look like the following...

1723686093131.png

1723686165237.png

My next question is what gauge wire should I use for my splices. 12ga should be fine right? Or does my eng wire need to be a thicker gauge?
The PINK IGN feed should be 12gauge wire, the tach could BROWN or WHITE, doesn't really matter to be honest and be 18-20ga.

Another issue I’m having is the placement of the spark plugs. I know the firing order so can I place my number 1 plug anywhere on the distributor as long as I follow the firing order?
Yes but there is typically a #1 location from the factory. For the 307 Olds V8 it's the post on the back of the cap, on the drivers side. Then they run in sequence counter clockwise, #8, then #4 and so on...

1723686763789.png

1723686956284.png

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Note it's not the exact replacement for the 307, which I believe is plastic and has that port for the old magnetic probes for checking timing, but it says for ALL V8's 1964-1990 so might just give them a call and confirm it will work for 307, otherwise you can probably find used ones on eBay or scrap yard.

More info here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/parts-wanted-13/looking-timing-tab-preferably-hei-144118/

HTH

OK, first things first...what distributor did you purchase? From where, what brand, what part number, what engine or application? Is your engine still the original 307 V8?

Let's see a pic or two of what you're working with.

The original distributor would have been *computer* controlled, which means without the ECM there isn't going to be any timing advance because it has no vacuum or mechanical advance functionality. Did you get a hold of an older Olds V8 distributor, like from the 1970's era, or aftermarket/performance one for that era engine without any computer control?

Non Computer Control Distributor, notice the vacuum advance canister.
View attachment 243853
Computer Controlled Distributor, notice no vacuum advance and has the computer four wire plug connector.

View attachment 243854

Yes, of course that is your starting point always. Locate #1 cylinder, pull that spark plug and rotate the engine by hand or with a bump starter button until you get compression then continue until you're at TDC (0 degrees) on the timing marks at front of engine balancer.

Well, you simply need to find an undamaged one, and replace it since everything else pretty much hinges off it being in place and being accurate. You can also carefully, using various methods confirm the #1 piston is at the TOP of the cylinder, then make a mark (like with some paint/dye marker etc) down by the balancer. As long as you have a 0 degree reference on the balancer you can later use that with a DIAL BACK type Timing Light to set your initial timing.

If you don't have a dial back timing light (knob on the back, or digital style) there are plenty of videos on those and how to use them.

What happened to the original PINK wire and TACH wire (if equipped
) that connected to the original distributor? You should be able to use both original wires for a distributor that isn't computer controlled. Hopefully they weren't cut from the engine harness? They should be in the harness that runs over by the brake booster, under the wiper motor and back of the fuse panel at the firewall, know as C100.

Terminal D4 = PINK HEI IGN FEED
Terminal A7 = WHITE TACHOMETER (with gauges cluster)

View attachment 243855

Yes, the HEI Ignition feed for the distributor (coil) is fed directly from the IGN SWITCH on the steering column.

They look like the following...

View attachment 243848

View attachment 243849

The PINK IGN feed should be 12gauge wire, the tach could BROWN or WHITE, doesn't really matter to be honest and be 18-20ga.

Yes but there is typically a #1 location from the factory. For the 307 Olds V8 it's the post on the back of the cap, on the drivers side. Then they run in sequence counter clockwise, #8, then #4 and so on...

View attachment 243850
View attachment 243852
Thank you for the information, a lot of what you posted cleared up some confusion. The Distributor I bought was a Non computer controlled with vacuum advance. It’s going on my 307 Olds. It was a summit racing brand. Part # SUM-850006

I didn’t take a photo with the cap on, but this was the original distributor that was on the car.

Attachments

• IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Ok, sounds good...I'm glad you got the proper distributor type so you can run without the computer controlled timing so that's perfect.

So what happened to the original two connectors from the OLD distributor (circled in red below), did they get ripped out with the rest of the engine harness? If you still have that harness, just put them back and make sure they're pinned back into the C100 connector and you're done. Those two connectors do exactly the same thing for computer controlled distributor or non computer controlled.

Hopefully they're still in place and you can just plug right in to the your new distributor!!

1723690639225.png

Ok, sounds good...I'm glad you got the proper distributor type so you can run without the computer controlled timing so that's perfect.

So what happened to the original two connectors from the OLD distributor (circled in red below), did they get ripped out with the rest of the engine harness? If you still have that harness, just put them back and make sure they're pinned back into the C100 connector and you're done. Those two connectors do exactly the same thing for computer controlled distributor or non computer controlled.

Hopefully they're still in place and you can just plug right in to the your new distributor!!

View attachment 243863
I walked out there and took a photo of those connectors. It looks like this was already a splice job. I’m having a little bit of confusion and I apologize about that. Did these wires have another connection on them? Or should I be able to plug these directly into the distributor? One is a pink wire, and the other is a brown/grey stripe

Attachments

• IMG_3581.jpeg
    IMG_3581.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor