Distributor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
IS it possible to run a stock distributor without the computer?

I want to buy the edelbrock carb from jegs and its not computer controlled, am i able to convert the distributor? or can i run it the way it is?

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
the ECM controls the carb and distributor, so you can run your motor just fine, but do both carb and dizzy swap not just one.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
monte olrac said:
the ECM controls the carb and distributor, so you can run your motor just fine, but do both carb and dizzy swap not just one.
what do you mean by i can run my motor just fine? Can i run a non-computer carb with the stock distributor?

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
whoops, my bad. ok you need to change both to run your engine correcty. Sorry about that. But you probally could use the stock dizzy but im sure it will run like A$$

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
car will run with the stock distributor, but I wouldn't unless you like to get beat by AVEO's :oops:

the tps and mixture control solenoid are what tells the computer to adjust the ignition timing, and you'll end up losing all your advance,and lose most of your power.... this is coming from experience...

I just installed an edelbrock carb and msd dist in my buddies 84 caprice, and the first time I goosed it, the rear wheel broke loose for the first time ever... put a smile on MY face!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor