Distributor wire always hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremiahwarren17

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2022
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my 1979 cutlass supreme. I have constant power to my distributor wire even when the key is turned off and other electricals (open door lights, dash lights) seemingly lost power. when I checked original fuse panel most fuses have 12 volts to them. Any ideas of what could cause this or what else I need to look into? Thanks in advance!

jeremiahwarren17

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2022
I was using it as a signal wire to a relay. Because it won't switch off with the key it stays on no matter what I do. I can't open that link for some reason.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Good troubleshooting technique: record then disconnect all the modifications. Then get it working properly.

You can add your modifications one at a time to see if they are good or bad.

If your extra relay causes a problem make a drawing so you can look for 12 volt power coming back through the relay coil.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
It will be better if you get rid of the jury rigging and fix it right. I would first look at the ignition switch

jeremiahwarren17

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2022
So I tried replacing the ignition switch and that didn't help. I have the relay running to another fuse panel that I added on. It goes from battery to 130amp circuit breaker, to 120 amp relay to fuse panel. so after unplugging it what should I do? Also I'll post some pictures, (I'm not done with wiring btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor