Distributors/Ignitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I'm due to buy a new ignition system in the near future for the sbc. I've heard something like a quality distributor and 6A L box and coil can knock even .2 seconds off a quarter mile. So what would I need for the best results for the least amount of money... do I really need the ignition box and coil? What kind of results could I expect... or is it even worth it to throw out my cheap temporary proform HEI?

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
are you having problems with your proform? I just put one in my wagon last weekend

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
No problems with it, it's just a few years old and was very cheap, I'm tryin to understand why electronic ignition boxes/multiple spark might be beneficial. I'm tryin to see if it's worth the investment or not, or if it'd give me more power. I don't understand how these things can be advertised to take .1-.2 seconds of a quarter mile if it only makes the car burn fuel more efficiently. It can't add that much power??

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
custom442 said:
No problems with it, it's just a few years old and was very cheap, I'm tryin to understand why electronic ignition boxes/multiple spark might be beneficial. I'm tryin to see if it's worth the investment or not, or if it'd give me more power. I don't understand how these things can be advertised to take .1-.2 seconds of a quarter mile if it only makes the car burn fuel more efficiently. It can't add that much power??
Depending on what model you buy you do have the added bonus of a rev limiter.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
The rev limiter would be nice. But I don't really need it as I'm not planning on winding the thing out all the way on the top end (5,000 rpms is scary enough around town, my car reaches 80 mph in first gear). So for now I guess just keep the proform, don't see how I would be gaining anything by spending more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor