disturbing vid on old topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
In all honesty most of those cars are probably pretty crappy... I've known a lot of people with explorers and they're constantly breaking down. And that chrysler new yorker... Crap. The caddy was pretty nice I don't know why you'd trade that in... All those F150's were all two wheel drive they're not worth much. I dunno... I agree most of those cars were a little too nice for me to consider a clunker, but you don't know that they didn't have super high miles or mechanical problems.

I considered trading in my Buick in cash for clunkers, I wish I did now... 4500 dollar trade in would have been a lot better than the 400 bucks I got for it when I sold it. I'd have a nice paid off late model economy car or family sedan with 5 star safety rating and 30mpg right now. Instead of a 16 year old beat up pickup truck, and a money pit that needs thousands of dollars worth of work to pass inspection. :lol:

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
sad on soooo many levels.......

My sil tried to get us to trade in my 99 cherokee.....shallow end of the gene pool right there.

13bravo

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2011
Hudson, NY
The really sad part is that any useable cores that could possibly be used to repair a vehicle are now also gone.

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
I agreed with that vid 100%... I thought it was a stupid program, It was a band-aid that hurt the economy now theres a bunch of people with a car payment they cant afford.
kornball426 said:
I considered trading in my Buick in cash for clunkers, I wish I did now... 4500 dollar trade in would have been a lot better than the 400 bucks I got for it when I sold it. I'd have a nice paid off late model economy car or family sedan with 5 star safety rating and 30mpg right now. Instead of a 16 year old beat up pickup truck, and a money pit that needs thousands of dollars worth of work to pass inspection. :lol:
No offence but instead of whining about having and old money pit of a truck theres all kinds of incentives to buy a vehicle... (ie) A friend of mine got $9000 dollars of a new 2011 silverado plus his trade-in. bottom line does your truck cost more than a new car payment the math has been done a million times new car payment, still needs gas , Ins, (usually costs alittle more) still have maintenance wear n tear tires ect. I have done the math my 05 silverado on the worst days fuel mileage and my 87ss still is better than a payment on a stupid little 4 banger yea they get 30+ mpg but they put tiny fuel tanks in them still only go 300 miles to a tank(approx)
sorry for the rant and Kornball Im not picking on you just useing you as an example :roll:

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
but the point went over your head. The gov perpetrates the inspection, and they perpetrated cash for clunkers too: so the problem isnt old cars, the problem is the gov once again! What we need isnt a bunch of stupidass flexible plastic body cars that cave in to accident under 25 mph, we need price drop on gas and remove the politicians/market analysts hyping up the gas price to hold down the working people! Gas doesnt need to be $4-$5 a gallon if you believe that your a sucker. Gas is 10cent a gallon in some countries. + if you believe that cars are the primary cause of pollution and going for the ecological argument that makes you a sucker too! If we had a graph of how much industry/ power company pollutes made by real scientist who isnt payed by gov, the pollution would overshadow car emissions. The motivation of this program wasnt to 'help' you. How does needing to meet a high car payment during a depression help you and your family?

Hate to quote jesus, but cash for clunkers was really a 'wolf in sheeps clothing.' People traded in cars that weren't clunkers and didnt understand that the government was going to compact them, and some even panicked when they found out and tried to buy back car but it was illegal and too late. That program wasnt designed with you in mind, and to connect your family with the plush heated leather seats of the new -insert model here- it was designed to hold you down.
It was really designed with a hammer and sickle in mind

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
moved to OT since apparently the point of it was political.... :roll:

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I'm not complaining about my truck, I don't have any use for it it's a 95 F250 diesel but I got it for cheap and it runs really good, other than it's very hard to start when it gets down below 40 degrees. So I don't mind it being around and it's kind of fun to drive but it's dirty, loud, smelly, fairly uncomfortable, and dented up... And my Firebird could never really be a DD anyway it is it need a lot of work, and to be a sensible road car for more than just around town playing around I need an over drive, and to get rid of the 750 dbl pumper that's sitting on top of the motor.

My point was only that I got 400 dollars for a car that I could have traded in for 4500 dollars... If I just bought a 2010 Focus or a Malibu or Cobalt or something I'd have a nice new car that's safe, reliable, and gets great gas mileage. And I'd have it paid off by now, a Focus would only have been around 8 grand with the 4500 off plus dealer incentives, my mom only paid a little over 11 grand for her 2011 back in February and it had a sticker price of over 19 thousand for hers which is an SE with every option on the list except it's got a 5 speed stick instead of the standard auto but the price is the same.

But being thick headed I wanted a Camaro SS or a Mustang GT... Which was out of the question, I figured out my payments and I could make them but I got insurance quotes and I wouldn't be able to afford the insurance. It was over 5 thousand dollars a year just for insurance. Between the payment and insurance I would have been shelling out over 650 dollars a month. :shock:

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
everything-is-a-conspiracy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor