BUILD THREAD Dixie Restoration's 1986 Monte Carlo Restomod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
With the SEM Rust Trap dry, it was time to start installing our new interior. For this project, we're replacing the maroon interior with a grey and black theme. With RetroSound speakers and our vent & radio panel installed, our 4-speaker dash went in without too many hiccups. The dash allows quite a bit of adjustment for a perfect fit on any G-body. We've found that every install is different depending on how much abuse and twisting the car has experienced over the past 30+ years. The only specialty tool that makes this install smoother is a Dremel with a sanding drum attachment and a center cutting bit. The drum sander is perfect for trimming edges that may need a little more clearance and the center bit allows holes to be elongated slightly if necessary.

After a couple of test fits, the dash was in for good. It fit well on the 1st install but we were shooting for perfection. We may have even gotten carried away with perfection in areas that no one will ever see.

during3.jpg

Next came the install of ACC’s standard backed carpet kit. Nothing hard here, just time and patience. We choose to start the install in the rear footwell areas and work forward. A little spray adhesive along the way helped keep the carpet where we wanted it and eliminated wrinkles as we moved forward. Again, we are spending a lot of time with each product install in an attempt to get perfection but it should pay off in the end.

during4.jpg

Here's a sneak peak of the installed driver’s seat and passenger side door. We used our PUI upholstery and buns but decided not to install the headrests for a minimal custom look.

during5.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
The black door stills look nice! painted or powdercoated?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I like everything but the seat modification, sorry to me it looks out of place besides I like if I get rear ended that my neck doesn't snap backwards over a seat back.

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I really like the blacked out hardware, wanted to do that myself but was also thinking of going gunmetal or something dark other than black

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I like everything but the seat modification, sorry to me it looks out of place besides I like if I get rear ended that my neck doesn't snap backwards over a seat back.

I like the no headrest. looks sharp to me. But then again my bench seat doesnt have a headrest.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Wait a minute, I don't see the Chevrolet logo on the long dash panel. Are these available? I've sanded my logo off but need to prime it and sand it, then paint it, then buff it, yadda yadda. It would be nice just to buy one

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor