Do all G's have dim dash lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Tennessee
Seems like ive seen a few threads about our dash lights being somewhat dim. What have you done to correct this, i want my stock cluster(87 cutlass), just want it brighter.....(would love some pics)

442_87

Apprentice
Jul 19, 2014
I placed LED's in my dash. Got them online from Deal Extreme. You will lose the ability to dim the lights, but you can see the gauges now...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Some bulbs may have burned out over the past thirty years. And you did try to adjust the light level by twisting the headlight knob, yes?

Raven87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Tennessee
Oh yea, ive had it apart, put all new bulbs in. They just always seemed i guess "less than desired" lol. And yes the dimmer switch works too.
I was just curious to see what some of you might have done.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I also replaced with LED's, big difference from the stock bulbs, but yes you cannot dim the gauges if need be. Another thing I tried was painting the back of the gauge bezel white to try to reflect the light back onto the gauge faces. I'm not sure if it made that big of a difference.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you want the be able to dim the gauge lights but still brighten the lights Sylvania sells a few other replacement style bulbs that are physically identical to 194's but put out more wattage, I am using some brighter ones in the my Lincoln where I made the dummy taillights into fully functional turn signals and driving lights and because of the limited space I used the 194 style bulb.
Also since most gauges in Gbodies use reflective lighting and you can brighten or change color by painting the backside of the gauge panel with "reflective paint" in the color of your choice, typically the factory is a light green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor