Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Oldsmoletick said:
Tuggy24g said:
I HATE MY JOB AND EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. I AM A FREAKING DISHWASHER!!! I want to get a job at an autoparts place like napa, advance auto parts pepboys ect.. No luck right now since I do not have my ASE in parts.

uh, not to burst your bubble, but there is no special certs necessary to work at a retail parts store.....

Nope not really needed, although some positions are supposed to require it. Also you need to have 2(i think) years of experience. I didn't recert so mine is gonna expire at the end of the year.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
My job is great. I work for local railroad. It not everyday you get to play 3000 horsepower. I enjoy the overhaul process on those giant diesel engines. I used to work at a lincoln mercury dealership and I lost all interest in the hobby . A job change 11 years ago brought me back to the hobby.

classic80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2010
Tri-Cities, WA
axisg said:
yeah I hate my boss ( self employed ) :blam:

Gonna be 40 in a few months and I am wishing I had stuck with a trade. If I could swing a 50% paycut and get an apprenticeship I would ne interested in a career change and getting into HVAC or Plumbing ( I know as an electrician or going back to framing would kill me quick )

KIDS, STAY IN SCHOOL or pick a trade !!
I joined a trade when I was 25(plumbers/pipefitters), and I'm mad that I didn't do it sooner. As for whether I enjoy it, yes I absolutely do. There are so many aspects to it, you are almost doing something new everyday. I get to work outside(some may not like this), I build something that I can take pride it when it's up and running, and the pay is pretty damn good.

As far as a pay cut joining an apprenticeship, depending on the locale, the pay for a 1st year apprentice can actually be pretty good.

breeaad

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
anakputa said:
I get to fly all over the west coast 5 days a week as a Field Engineer for an Auto Manufacturer. A different Dealership everyday. Only thing that sucks is that I am never home..except weekends. :blam:

I am a Quality Manager for a Tier-1 supplier, and had considered trying a field engineer position a few years back. I thought it would be fun, but the way you are describing the travel maybe not so much.

1badbu

Greasemonkey
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
dr78442 said:
My job is great. I work for local railroad. It not everyday you get to play 3000 horsepower. I enjoy the overhaul process on those giant diesel engines. I used to work at a lincoln mercury dealership and I lost all interest in the hobby . A job change 11 years ago brought me back to the hobby.

I'll keep trying to blow'em up for people like you everyday :mrgreen:

Been an Engineer for almost 20 years now for a class 1.

Had two 4400 hp. GE's tonight on a grain empty move.

My Granddad,Dad and now my brother all were machinist for a class 1.

Want to talk about some pistons.Most of them are like 500 cubic inches a piece ! And there's 12-20 of them in a prime mover according to which one .

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
1badbu said:
dr78442 said:

I'll keep trying to blow'em up for people like you everyday :mrgreen:

Been an Engineer for almost 20 years now for a class 1.

Had two 4400 hp. GE's tonight on a grain empty move.

My Granddad,Dad and now my brother all were machinist for a class 1.

Want to talk about some pistons.Most of them are like 500 cubic inches a piece ! And there's 12-20 of them in a prime mover according to which one .

Let me say THANK YOU. You guys always keep me busy and employeed. We use all EMD engines . The yard engines displace 645 cubic inches per cylindar and the Road engines displace 712 cubic inches. I am a machinist as well it is truely one of the best jobs around

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor