Does anybody use a zddp oil or additive in their car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
I have owned my regal for 10 years. Since I have had the car I used Lucas Classic car hot rod oil. For 10 years the valve seals where dry so when I use to start my engine it would blow blue smoke. Just for a second or two. It was getting pricey. This time I always use to use Pennzoil so this time I went full synthetic 5W20 and a bottle of STP oil treatment. Not only did it lube the valve seals, no more blue smoke on start ups but I have 1200 miles and have not added any oil. Turns out my oil consumption problem was due to the valve seals problem. I keep looking for leaks but none so far. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have owned my regal for 10 years. Since I have had the car I used Lucas Classic car hot rod oil. For 10 years the valve seals where dry so when I use to start my engine it would blow blue smoke. Just for a second or two. It was getting pricey. This time I always use to use Pennzoil so this time I went full synthetic 5W20 and a bottle of STP oil treatment. Not only did it lube the valve seals, no more blue smoke on start ups but I have 1200 miles and have not added any oil. Turns out my oil consumption problem was due to the valve seals problem. I keep looking for leaks but none so far. Hope this helps.
What motor? I assume a sbc 305, notorious for valve guide issues along with flat cams till the early 80's. I think about the only thing STP oil treatment is good for is to thicken oil to increase pressure. I think pretty much all our cars called for a 10W30 or 10W40 when new, 5W20 is a thin choice. Maybe the thin synthetic removed sludge? Usually valve seals issues on older motors, replacement is the only option. They are hard plastic that disintegrates. I use Kleenflo Combustion Chamber cleaner and it works great to free stuck rings, used on a couple of motors. Gained compression, 15 to 30 psi and less oil consumption don't lie. I got caught filling cylinders last time, bent one rod and destroyed the rod bearing. I still gained back 15 psi on that cylinder. Interesting that it worked.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I use STP oil additive with ZDDP and my favorite motor oil. never hade any problems.

Doug

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor