Does anybody use a zddp oil or additive in their car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, that's one take on it. I've always heard that the deep sump was to reduce windage by keeping the crank out of the oil. "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"
Olds guys seem to run one quart under the the pans rating. You know 6 in a 7 quart and 7 in a 8 quart pan. I am pretty sure the Canton Olds 6 qt pan isn't allow shallower than a 7 qt Moroso or Milidon pan, along with being built properly, the rating is right as well. I plan on running a BBO replacement pan at minimum on my 403 stroker. A deeper front to clear the 4.25" stroke and baffle in back make it a better pan than the SBO pan.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
care to elaborate on this? break in oil isn't designed for longevity..
From the Summit website:

"
Summit Racing® ZDDP Performance motor oil is a premium, conventional-type engine lubricant blended with advanced base oils and additives. Formulation is developed for street or racing use in all classic car, hot rod, and muscle car style engines. It's available in a single grade SAE30 "break in" and in multi-grade blends. ZDDP works perfectly in all displacements and provides maximum protection in engines equipped with flat tappet and roller camshafts. No additional additives are needed. This oil also provides great protection in high-powered engines equipped with power adders and is compatible with all fuels.

* Boosted formulation of ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) for enhanced anti-wear protection
* Break-in oil is specifically blended for initial break-in of camshafts and rings in high performance engines
* Multi-grades are specifically blended for high performance engines in hot rod, classic, and muscle cars
* Advanced formulation of rust and corrosion inhibitors; meets military storage specifications
* Not for use in vehicles equipped with catalytic converters; meets no API specification"

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
A crank sloshing through an oil bath doesn't care what make the engine is.
True to some extent. Certain engines are easier on oil and less picky and you can get away with just about any type as long as weighs are within spec. The Cummins as n example.
Ford Powerstroke diesels are notoriously picky. I know apples and oranges.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
From the Summit website:

"
Summit Racing® ZDDP Performance motor oil is a premium, conventional-type engine lubricant blended with advanced base oils and additives. Formulation is developed for street or racing use in all classic car, hot rod, and muscle car style engines. It's available in a single grade SAE30 "break in" and in multi-grade blends. ZDDP works perfectly in all displacements and provides maximum protection in engines equipped with flat tappet and roller camshafts. No additional additives are needed. This oil also provides great protection in high-powered engines equipped with power adders and is compatible with all fuels.

* Boosted formulation of ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) for enhanced anti-wear protection
* Break-in oil is specifically blended for initial break-in of camshafts and rings in high performance engines
* Multi-grades are specifically blended for high performance engines in hot rod, classic, and muscle cars
* Advanced formulation of rust and corrosion inhibitors; meets military storage specifications
* Not for use in vehicles equipped with catalytic converters; meets no API specification"
i only inquired because summit sells their brand of high level anti wear-everything motor oil on top of a break in specific oil.it's designed to be used for only a few hundred miles,and then changed.i just wanted to see which one you were using on the regular as they don't reccomed using the break in for an extended amount of miles.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
i only inquired because summit sells their brand of high level anti wear-everything motor oil on top of a break in specific oil.it's designed to be used for only a few hundred miles,and then changed.i just wanted to see which one you were using on the regular as they don't reccomed using the break in for an extended amount of miles.
Thanks! We're specifically using the 30W in the Galaxie. If you look at the Q&A section, they recommend it for everyday use as long as you don't have a catalytic converter......

Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
sounds good,if you turn that bottle over the back it says it's good for up to 400 miles of driving.just an fyi.i don't want to see anything happen to anybody's ride.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
sounds good,if you turn that bottle over the back it says it's good for up to 400 miles of driving.just an fyi.i don't want to see anything happen to anybody's ride.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have submitted a question to Summit for a clarification. They say it's fine for daily use but the 400 mile service interval suggests otherwise. It's hard to find a zinc enhanced 30W oil good for classic car use. Dad likes the straight 30W and doesn't seem to want to run 10W30.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
can i ask what didn't you like about the VR1?
I read that since it is a Racing oil, it isn't well suited for a car that isn't daily driven. Perhaps I'm ill informed? It had very few miles on it but was in the engine while the car was in paint jail for over a year. It looked really dirty when we got the car back. I didn't like the look of it. I've been surfing the net all morning. I'm starting to believe the PennGrade 30W high performance oil is the way to go. All feedback is welcome.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor