Does this annoy you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
I am sick of looking at ideas for redoing my car interior only to see people putting 15 TV monitors in their cars.

They put them in their trunk, on the outside, in the mirrors, door panels, side back panels.

Maybe I am old school and don't understand the new youth but what is the point of this? I can see one in the dash, pop a movie in and cuddle up with a chick in the back seat.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's all about conspicuous consumption. Showing that you have more money than brains is supposed to make you look cool. To me, it makes you a retard. I have no problem with a TV in a car, and in fact, one of my ideas is to build a Carputer with the touch screen in the dash between the vents (on a Cutlass) and use it to run navigation, in car web surfing, radio, a 500gb external hard drive to store music and videos, and maybe even a TV tuner. Do I need TV's everywhere, like on a really bad episode of "Pimp My Ride"? No. (BTW, the worst were one in the spare tire UNDER a truck, and ones in the ends of the bumpers!!!) To me, everything should feel integrated into the car, not tacked on. I fail to see how 20 TV's in weird places is integrated.

In the end, figure out what you want in your car, and then figure out how to make it work. Screw everyone else's ideas, most of them suck. Plus, most magazines are interested only in featuring show cars built by manufacturers to sell equipment. I learned long ago that magazines may be good for ideas, but most of the editors are not as smart as I am nor as good with cars as I am. They are there only as shills for their advertisers and will review whatever they get free that month. There is very little journalistic integrity in most car magazines. The same goes for "The Power Block" on Spike. Every show is a 30 minute commercial. So, find your own road. An intelligent man makes his own path, and then lesser men follow behind him.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Great points. I would like to have the carputer too.

I might put 1 15 inch screen in my car eventually. The stereo I am getting has a DVD player and a screen output. It has no screen on the stereo though, just a player.

It's a Sony for like $150 at woofersetc.com

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Hmm, all theses TV screens and DVD players....

Gotta cost some serious cash....

hmmm, now this would be the choice. A bunch of useless TV screens that will probably rarely (if ever) get used, or a new 400HP motor? I know what I would pick. :D

But I guess every generation has it's automotive posers. I wonder what will be the next lame fad? Hmm, I can't think of anything else cheezy that the ricers haven't already done lol.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Next it will be all about the 50 inch plasma flat screen UNDER the car, you know so road kill can watch TV for a split second before it dies. Or, how about suicide Lambo doors? As if normal Lambo doors aren't hard enough to use, make it all work in reverse! Suicide Lambo doors! Then again, why not split the doors in two? Have one half open suicide and the other normal, kinda like the bottom of a split door on an Astro van. Oh.. I know! Doors that open up in 4 parts with a hinge at every corner! As much as this is in jest, I predict that within 6 months of me posting this, someone will actually try one of these ideas after reading this post.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Oh, how about a TV screen on the bottom of the hood. That that when they are showing off their lawn mower engines they can watch some crappy rap videos too.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Although it's not exactly in the same realm as 20 screens, I did see an article (might've been Motor Trend or something like that, showcasing the Ford Flex) where they had a sort of suite set up for 4 or 5 people I think to sit and watch a 50" plasma while riding down the road, they also had the option of accessing a forward-facing camera so it'd feel more like a regular car. Interesting idea, but a little extravagant imo.

Snaffle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 10, 2009
I don't get it either, I bought an "old" car because I like the "older" feel. Not because I want to put a bizillion dollars of electronics into it. I want to hear the car...not the noise I'm trying to get away from.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
na man its stupid honestly in my opinion.I don't see a point in having tv's,playstations and monitors in your trunk or backseat

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I can see a point to doing such things in moderation. I don't see a point to a "Pimp My Ride" sort of car either, but fortunately, most other peoples don't either. If I had my way, I would build a "Carputer" for my Cutlass, complete with an in dash touch screen and a 1TB external hard drive under the dash. That way, I could be online when in the car and have access to weather data, etc. Plus, when I have an idea, it would let me research it while at work rather than having to wait until I got home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor