Door Hinge Rebuild 'Kits'

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I need to rebuild the hinges on the '78 Malibu to ensure the front sheet metal is in the right place.

I did my usual Google searching. I've found all the usual suspects for the generic 'hinge rebuild kit' stuff. Everybody & their cousin has what I need to repair my door hinges like new but there are just as many reviews that complain of the rebuild kit parts 'material quality' leave much to be desired (poor quality bushing/insert material) & they wear out faster vs. how long it took the GM stuff to wear.

I possibly found some NOS GM parts (full hinge set-ups) which are pricy but @ least you're starting w/new GM stuff vs. 'almost like GM'.

In my search for something possibly better than the generic rebuild kits, I want to make sure I'm not overlooking someone that has maybe a limited production set-up that uses better quality parts/materials to do rebuilds. If anyone knows of something, please advise....

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I just order pins and bushings for an Astro Van from out GM wholesaler

Nice feature on the Astro pins is they have a keeper on them so you don't have to stake or tack weld them to prevent working themselves out.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Which side do you need. I have a nice pair off a low mileage car on my bench. I'll let them go cheap. I'll never use them

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I wish there was a rebuild kit that used greasable pins to extend the life of then even longer. I know I've seen them for 3rd gen F-bodies.
This is something I read & what drove this thread topic. I thought 'I wonder if anybody did something like this for g-bodys'.

Technically, my doors close ok but the driver door is requiring more effort to shut. The striker is indicating its wearing more & the door lines are lower vs. the body when in a closed position but not fully closed. Once you shut the door 100%, the striker puts the door in-line. Since I'm building the inner tubs & the front clip has been removed & piece by piece partially reassembled, I figured I need the doors positively in place to align the front clip parts so there are no surprises ( building the tub close-outs based off of incorrect placement of the fenders to firewall etc... ).

I thought I read somewhere the pins were similar to the 3rd GEN f-bodys but when I looked things up specifically, it didn't seem p/n's were similar. Most on-line info doesn't list pin or bushing dimensions to allow ID'ing possible alternatives (like the 1st response of the Astro van pieces).

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
This is what I use once they're rebuilt to keep them lubed up

609a354d7c417736513405-DV_WebLarge_I_KT13129.jpg

Also works well in the latch assembly itself, goes in like regular aerosol sprays, but thickens up to stay in place.

Reactions: 6 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I purchased min from Mike's Montys about 6 years ago and have had no issues. Then again in the last 7 years I have only driven 30k miles.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I just order pins and bushings for an Astro Van from out GM wholesaler

Nice feature on the Astro pins is they have a keeper on them so you don't have to stake or tack weld them to prevent working themselves out.
These are a direct interchange for the g-body spec pins/bushings? If so, I would prefer the keeper-clip set-up for positive retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor