Door Hinge Rebuild 'Kits'

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I need to rebuild the hinges on the '78 Malibu to ensure the front sheet metal is in the right place.

I did my usual Google searching. I've found all the usual suspects for the generic 'hinge rebuild kit' stuff. Everybody & their cousin has what I need to repair my door hinges like new but there are just as many reviews that complain of the rebuild kit parts 'material quality' leave much to be desired (poor quality bushing/insert material) & they wear out faster vs. how long it took the GM stuff to wear.

I possibly found some NOS GM parts (full hinge set-ups) which are pricy but @ least you're starting w/new GM stuff vs. 'almost like GM'.

In my search for something possibly better than the generic rebuild kits, I want to make sure I'm not overlooking someone that has maybe a limited production set-up that uses better quality parts/materials to do rebuilds. If anyone knows of something, please advise....

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
As far as I know, same-same. Dorman lists the same kit for the Malibu and Astro, though theirs have more bushings to fit a variety of applications

I don't recall any issues, but it's been a couple of years since I did the last one. I did use them on both my coupe and wagon, if that helps.

Pin: GM 12338015

I've done 4 or 5 cars with these, I think the worst one had an egg shaped hole, so I used a larger OD bushing that used the same pin OD, and opened the hole with a step drill. I have also in the long-distant past welded up badly worn holes and redrilled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
As far as I know, same-same. Dorman lists the same kit for the Malibu and Astro, though theirs have more bushings to fit a variety of applications

I don't recall any issues, but it's been a couple of years since I did the last one. I did use them on both my coupe and wagon, if that helps.

Pin: GM 12338015

I've done 4 or 5 cars with these, I think the worst one had an egg shaped hole, so I used a larger OD bushing that used the same pin OD, and opened the hole with a step drill. I have also in the long-distant past welded up badly worn holes and redrilled.
The reason driving my inquiry was Dorman stuff I found listed diff p/n for G-body vs Astro van (95-02).

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
G Body is Dorman 703264: Pin Diameter .342" Length 4,167" Two sets of bushings. One .344" ID X.420" OD and the other .344" ID X .490" OD.

Astro Van is Dorman 703263: Pin diameter .342" Length 4.110". One set of bushings .344" ID X .490" OD.

I don't think the .057" shorter pin is a deal breaker. If your car used the .490" OD bushings the Astro Van part will work.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The reason driving my inquiry was Dorman stuff I found listed diff p/n for G-body vs Astro van (95-02).
The G body set uses the stake-type pin. The astro uses the clip pin.

As said, I buy the GM pins, and we have a large assortment of GM bushings on hand at work. I didn't think the Dorman bushings were as good as the GM bushings, so I don't buy their stuff.

I wouldn't have posted about these if they didn't work

I guess you could buy the g body bushings and the Astro pins, Should probably check the bushing holes first, as they often are badly worn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The G body set uses the stake-type pin. The astro uses the clip pin.

As said, I buy the GM pins, and we have a large assortment of GM bushings on hand at work. I didn't think the Dorman bushings were as good as the GM bushings, so I don't buy their stuff.

I wouldn't have posted about these if they didn't work

I guess you could buy the g body bushings and the Astro pins, Should probably check the bushing holes first, as they often are badly worn.
Ahh..... Understood. Using the Astro pins w/the correct G-body sized GM bushings. I was looking up info where I was going to source things from ( Summit, Oreillys, NAPA).

I have a buddy that works @ a dealership. I'll see what he can access.
Thanks for the deeper explanation. Apparently the initial one didn't register correctly in my noggin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor