Door lock Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsman442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2010
the door lock switch on both driver and passenger side will unlock the doors but they will not lock them when the switch is pushed to lock what might the problem be. the car is a 1986 442

oldsman442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2010
I think so but i am not 100% sure if they stopped working at the same time

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
the contacts on the inside of the switch are dirty or corroded. this happens especially if your windows let moisture in when ya wash it or the panel gets wet in the rain. you can disassemble the switch and clean up the contact. just be careful to put it back together the right way. i have done this a few times for friends as well as my own driver side lock switch. basically its from lack of switch use. once ya clean em just remember to use the switch once in a while.
try this for now........push downward and push the switch the way i does not work. sometimes the added downward pressure will make the contact better. anyways hope that helps, i am pretty sure thats your problem. if your thinking maybe that switch is to fragile to try to take apart......squirt some electronic contact cleaner in there and then blow it out with high pressure air, that might help as long as the contacts are only dirty and not corroded

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor