Door Pull Strap Attachment Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Hey Gang I recently changed out a window motor and noticed that the door pull strap had different size screws. 1 being the original and the other twice the length. As long as I've owned these cars, I've had varying degrees of those screws holding like they should to backing out on their own and of course the hole getting stripped. Has anyone considered making an improved method of attaching the straps to the door? I was thinking of installing some clips that retains a nut or is threaded that the appropriate size machine screw/bolt would screw into. I have no reservations blowing holes in the removable piece. The rear hole, it's going to take some thought.

Attachments

• Doorinterior.jpg
    Doorinterior.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 84

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
+1 to rivet nuts.
Well nuts could also work.
A machine thread should hold better with less tendency to loosen than a sheet metal screw. Add loctite & almost guarantee it won't loosen.

Semi-related - I changed out the metal door strap... strap... on the back of my door panels. I cut new ones out of 1/8" steel & installed 8-32 PEM nuts where the rivets used to be. I made extra in case somebody else wanted some. Catch is, the center to center distance was different between my two doors, so I made two sizes. You'd need to check your centers.

1668096998471.png

Reactions: 1 users

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Thanx for the responses!!! Realized that I need to pull the interior panel off to see what I really need to make it all work.

I do wanna confirm that one of the attachment screw goes into the removable plate. Reason I mentioned, my '87 Monte LS seems like that plate is non existent unless at some point I removed it to gain access to the back of the dent I was trying to push out but I do see two holes in the door that was made by sheetmetal screws.

Attachments

• interiorplate.jpg
    interiorplate.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 73

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
My 86 elcamino had different sizes of screws when I got it in 2001, and even some of them were pulling out. Being a kid in high school I made do though. When I get to putting the doors back together eventually now, I plan on using riv nuts so there is a good solid grip, rather than only just some sheet metal screws.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I had the same problem of the hole on the door getting bigger. My solution was to place my body dolly inside the door and pound on the hole which moved the expanded metal back into the hole enough to grab the screw again. Now that all these tools are available, I would have purchased one and put in the inserts.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor