door speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I'm looking to make my own door speaker mounts for my cutlass. I will be making them to look somewhat like these http://www.lowridermagazine.com/tech/0609_lrm_customizing_door_panel/photo_20.html

But the catch is, I don't want to hack up the door panel. No cutting or anything like that.

The other thing is, what speakers would be the best? 5, 5.25, 5x7? what do you guys think would sound good, and still fit without cutting up the door panel. I already have pioneer 6x9s and blaupunkt 3.5s.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
hmmmmm...

does anyone know the thickness of that carpeted section of the molded door panel. wondering on clearance. thinking I need about 2.5" clearance for a speaker. I have about 1 1/8 now with the mock up speaker panel.

I guess I wouldn't mind cutting that carpeted section to clear the speaker magnet, just dont want to cut the molded vinyl or metal door itself.

just found 6.5" infinitys with 1 15/16" mounting debth

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
As far as the mounting, I can't really help you. I use Q Forms kick panels. As far as sound, I use to install car stereos and typically round speakers always sound better then oval ones. I'd use 5 1/4's Good luck. Keep us posted

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Maybe I could add a spacer ring on the outside of the panel I will make for clearance. That might look cheesy though. I would have to figure out a lot more dimensions if I'm going to make my own panel. I don't want it to look half assed either, which means a ton of work.

look what I just found :D . started looking around in google and found a better design
http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=450516

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I just put four nice speakers in place of the stock junk. Sounds good, no cutting.
One of the previous owners of my 442 cut holes in the doors and panels for speakers, but the carpeting on the door panel is intact. You can see the depression from the hole behind the carpet and it makes me mad. :evil:

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Are these door panels made for only the Monte and the Malibu or would they fit in a 1982 Regal too?

Would be cool if they did, or else I will just have to make my own.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
They should fit any 2-door G-Body, but I'm not positive they'll match the contours of the original panels (may not look the same, but they should mount to the door without issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor