Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Nice, I'm on it :wink: :wink:

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I'm just too cheap to buy the whole door panel. It would be nice, but I dont have the cash-money :lol:

What do you guys think about 4" round speakers? would those make that big of a difference in sound? maybe two on each side? If I did 4s, I wouldn't have to cut the panel as the mounting debth is only around 1.75"

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
For front speakers, imaging is everything. I would not go with anything smaller than 5 1/4" speakers. For the rear, if you have a top end set of fronts, you really don't need them.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
Those lower panels from Dixie look nice but the thing that bothers me is imaging on the speaker placement. I wish they would have angled the speaker mounts up more. If i were to run those panels, i would put four 6 1/2" speakers(cut door if necessary) in them powered off a 4 channel amplifier with a pair of tweeters on the a-pillars. 8)

I took the thin carpet off mine and did this and have been considering those panels but i dunno.....

I bought a 12" x 48" piece of mirrored plexiglass for about $28 shipped from this site:

www.estreetplasitcs.com

Here's the door panel after taking the carpet off after the first cut of the mirror(that adhesive that holds it on is a pain to get off) .

Regal054.jpg

Here's with a cardboard template where the mirror is going to go.

Regal055.jpg

Lastly, here is with the mirror installed.

Regal056.jpg

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Bookmarked that website in case I ever need it.

I hear you on the door panels, they are not angled up enough and the whole system would be off axis with that setup.

If you plan on running 4-6 1/2" speakers each side there is a better way to hook them up with a 2 channel amp and get a 4 ohm load each side.

just in case you are unsure of how to do it I will try to help. Put the speakers in a line. Take the positive of the first speaker and connect it to the negative of the second speaker. Now take the third speaker and connect the positive to the negative of the forth speaker. Now take the negative of the first and third speakers and connect to the negative side of the amp. take the positive of the second and forth speaker to the positive side of the amp.

You now can run 4 speakers on one side of a 2 channel amp, just do the same for the other side and have 8 speakers up front.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My solution for this is to use the GM door speaker system off a Regal with the Concert Sound II option. It puts 5.25 in mids in the door behind carpeted grilles, and tweeters in the dash's 3.5 location. I am using the housings from the Regal, but will use speakers from MB Quart. They are cheap on E Bay, and it is a recognizable brand, so they should be better than stock. I spent maybe $30 on the parts from the Regal, and the speakers are about $100 for the 5.25 in mids, tweeters, and crossovers.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Yeah, I just need to find a regal with that option. No luck yet.

I did just find rally gauges for my car though. only one cutlass in the junkyard, '85 Brougham I think, same engine as mine (3.8) but it has the rally gauges, the guy wants $40 for them. YAY!!

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Follow the traces on the back of the cluster, you probably don't need the whole harness, just re-pin the one you have and get the pressure/temperature senders from the donor car.

Far as Concert Sound panels, search craigslist, turbobuick.com, etc. if you're up for having them shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor