Door weatherstripping and door adjustments

87SS

n00b
Aug 17, 2018
I recently installed new Soft Seal weatherstripping on the driver side door of my 87 Monte SS. Body guy installed new Goodmark doors and quarters and the door closed perfectly prior to the seals installed. I've read on here about the pain others have gone thru by NOT using the GM ones. Since I just had my fitted without adhesive (wanted to confirm everything worked first), I pulled the upper one away and with the window down, the door, even when slammed pretty good is sticking out away from the quarter about 1/4-1/2". Would just adjusting the striker in a hair help pull it it?

I've heard that the rubber will "relax" and compress over a few weeks. I would give it time to form to the car before I go adjusting anything.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, will do. Car's been off the road for almost 20 years, letting the seals adjust for a few weeks will be a piece of cake :D

Reactions: 1 users
Once the seals 'take a set', the doors should fully latch and not hang open that 1/4". Agree with Hutch, don't mess with the body man's alignment. Like the stock market, you lock in your loss only if you sell.

Reactions: 1 users
The seals will definitely relax some, but your door still needs to sit flush with the quarter panel. Move your striker in. You'll find you will need to close the door much harder than you feel you should have to, in order for the door to fully close. But once the seals relax, then it will be a normal amount and the door will be closed flush

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor