Mythbusters, G-body style. Door Weatherstrips Fit Any 2-door G-body. Busted!!!!

ms350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
So glad I clicked on this. Thank you for posting. Sorry you already sold them. I have a 78 and 80 Malibu and an 85 El Camino so this will be good info to tuck away and I hope this posting stays on here. Sometimes I cannot find them later!

Reactions: 1 user

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Interesting read, Now i am curious as to whether the Upper Door Panel felts are the same between the different models for 1978-80?... 🤔 I am sure I'll get an answer relatively quickly. lol.
I've got a pretty good idea of how to Navigate/Read the Parts books. But some of the makings don't make a whole lotta sense. Either way, does anyone have the P/Ns handy for '78-80 Inner/Outer Upr Door panel felts?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Interesting read, Now i am curious as to whether the Upper Door Panel felts are the same between the different models for 1978-80?... 🤔 I am sure I'll get an answer relatively quickly. lol.
I've got a pretty good idea of how to Navigate/Read the Parts books. But some of the makings don't make a whole lotta sense. Either way, does anyone have the P/Ns handy for '78-80 Inner/Outer Upr Door panel felts?
Since the inner panels are a bit generic so there could be a chance they do interechange. But one thing I've heard but never verified is the Regal/"47" Cutlass upper panels are slightly different than the others. I bet a more knowedgeable will chime in to either prove me right or wrong.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Since the inner panels are a bit generic so there could be a chance they do interechange. But one thing I've heard but never verified is the Regal/"47" Cutlass upper panels are slightly different than the others. I bet a more knowedgeable will chime in to either prove me right or wrong.
Ah. I can see how the regal and cutlass are different. Not great looking IMO. Minus maybe a Regal Limited. Classy.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
For 2-door 78-80 Olds Cutlass/Regal side window moldings:

20163354 and 20163355 are the GM part numbers you seek for A47 body style for outer if you have the B85 special belt molding option. In 1981, the parts changed for Olds/Buick for both inner and outer and they were pretty much on their own.

For 2-door 78-80 Cutlass/Regal AND 78-81 Malibu/Elky/Cabby side window moldings:

20152195 for inners. You would need 2 of the inners since they fit either side, regardless of B85 or not. 20208434 is the supersession number, which was also fitting 81-88 Monte and Elky/Cabby as well. I have no idea what's different between those numbers, but something changed. But they're supposed to be interchangable. Could be a vendor swap, which was not uncommon.

Without B85 molding, for the outers you would need 20163358 and 20163359 for the outers.

List is not all-inclusive, but generally speaking, the B85 molding cars have different part numbers, the non-B85 2-doors tended to use the same pieces for the most part that I've seen in limited research. I'm not going to say "all", however.

If you're looking at the parts information, the window seals are found in Group 10.710

And if you need them...

Open up pockets. Get all 4 (without B85) for $480 to your door plus tax.

NOTHING...and I mean NOTHING....fits and works like genuine GM weatherstrip seals. Just make sure you verify the part numbers you need, because as we've seen, they DO differ.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor