double hump crossmember help

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
ive been lookin for an after market dual exhaust crossmember for my cutlass supreme. what makes the cutlass supreme chassis different from other g bodys so the jegs and summit crossmembers wont fit

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
There should not be a difference in the frame on a Cutlass. Did you try calling them to see why they think there is a difference? If they don't have a good answer, order one and try it. You can always send it back.

The only difference that I am aware of in the frames is that the 78- either 81 or 83 cars have a slightly different frame on the drivers side where the crossmember mounts than the 84 and later cars. Some of the aftermarket cross members sell a frame extension so you can install them on the earlier cars.

Try the G-Force Cross Member. Their site does not say anything about excluding Cutlasses. I just put one in my car. It is nicely made and very heavy duty. The down side is that I believe it costs more than what Jegs and Summit sell.
[url=http://www.transmissioncente...w.transmissioncenter.net/gforc ... QQodvF7GQQ[/url]

normal_Monte_Pictures_028.jpg

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
there is no difference its all bullshit... the Jegster member will fit with no problem..

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
thank you very much for reyling cause man ive been hemming and hawing over it for a while cause i know the gforce one would work cause i know other people that have used it, but i wasnt sure if the jegster had some wierd difference in it or somthin, so thanks again. i think im gonna go for the 700r4 swap as my th350 transmission is kinda beat, and i got a nice 700r4 that was in my old camaro that was stock as far as i know and used to chirp the tires behind a stock tpi 305

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
oh plus i can get rid of my whooped rotted out cheapo glass packs that drag on the ground , and gain san overdrive gear for the highway

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
LOL what ever works man! Jegster also makes a Th700 r4 member as well..i believe its 10 more bucks over the Th350 member.

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
redneckracer305 said:
ive been lookin for an after market dual exhaust crossmember for my cutlass supreme. what makes the cutlass supreme chassis different from other g bodys so the jegs and summit crossmembers wont fit
Why don't you save yourself some money and make your own out of the stock crossmember. I did and it works fine. Here is a couple of web sites that helped me do mine.
http://www.angelfire.com/80s/monte/crossmember.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/80s/monte/transmis.htm
http://www.maliburacing.com/dual_crossmember_mod.htm

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
id prefer not to make my own just for the fact that, i aint any good at welding, my brother is it aint worth the downtime itll take for him to get around to it,plus the aftermarket crossmembers look a little cleaner

fryer1979

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
The Sticks, Ca.
summit's crossmember is supposed to fit all G-bodies, and if you have an earlier G-body, they also sell a frame rail extension kit. If you look in their recent catalog, the double hump crossmember is on page 222, and the pre-84 frame extentions are right below it. Summit makes no distinction between models of G-body. Th-350 crossmember number is: SUM-770300, and the fit all frame extention is SUM-770307.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor