Holley ultra double pumper???'s

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
Im running a Holley ultra street avenger 670 carburetor on my sbc 406 daily driver and was wondering would it be better to install a Holley ultra 650 double pumper with electri choke on my daily driver I know I might be getting less fuel mileage from the double pumper but what about daily driver performance over the vacuum secondary Holley ultra street avenger?Thanks

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
Im running a Holley ultra street avenger 670 carburetor on my sbc 406 daily driver and was wondering would it be better to install a Holley ultra 650 double pumper with electri choke on my daily driver I know I might be getting less fuel mileage from the double pumper but what about daily driver performance over the vacuum secondary Holley ultra street avenger?Thanks
A 670 carb is fine on that but a lot depends upon your total package (cam, heads/valve size, compression, intake and exhaust manifolds etc. It's easy to under carb. You just don't have the top end performance you could with the right one. MPG is a product of everything I listed and also rear gearing/tires ignition curve, etc, not to mention your driving style.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If the vacuum secondary is tuned right, the car will have no more performance either way.

• Agree

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
Carb is tuned right I just don't have the topend power guess I'll just stick with the vacuum secondary carb by it being a daily driver
With a smaller carb, you won't have a lot of top end power. Engine needs to breathe. Small carb is like breathing through a straw. Too large is worse though. Most I'd go would be a 750, dp or not is your choice.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
This is why I like the Spread Bore Vac Secondary on daily drivers. Small primaries for basic driving and large secondaries to move air when your foot is in it.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I would try tuning the secondarys on your existing carburetor before upgrading.

Holley Vac Secondary springs.png

Last edited:

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Back when I was young and thought I knew more than my dad who had raced for 20 years before I could drive, I ran a 750 vs on my street car with the lightest diaphragm spring in it. I believed the double pumper had to be faster. So I put a 700 dp my dad had used with the choke horn milled off and jet extensions and ran low 10’s on his car. My car ran back to back exactly the same at the track.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor