RACING Drag and Drive Events 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
And drag weekend.

I am SUPER thankful I get the opportunity to run Drag Weekend and personally know the Shaw's who put it on. This is the second time spectating at drag week & the 6th time I have participated at drag weekend.

Spectating DW is great don't get me wrong, I 100% recommend showing up to spectate if you get the chance & it's close. If you are within 4hrs drive it's worth the day trip. BUT, drag weekend, even spectating, is just more fun. Drag Week is very competition focused, bit more serious & busier. Cars make a 1 and done pass, less roadside fun & hotel shenanigan's.

Drag weekend is so much more relaxed on the racers and spectators. People aren't as in a go-go-go mood, support trailers are allowed & hanging out in the lobby of the hotel and talking is more common. Drag weekend just seems more welcoming and family/friend oriented. There was 42 cars this year, all came from MN, IA, WI, IL & MO except 1 from GA of all places & a guy who moved to NC from MN and comes up every year.

Gas station stops are the best
1664244858070.png

1664244894906.png

Guy that puts the race on converted his high 7sec 5.3 Nova with a 8.50 cage in 2018 trim to a 514 twin BBC on methanol and took it this year. Clicked off a no nonsense 7.70 1/4 coasting.
1664245004059.png

1664245036929.png

1664245047884.png

1664245093256.png

1664245105024.png

1664245117036.png

1664245125594.png

1664245137055.png

Small town sights
1664245151151.png

Saturday night is the parking lot party & awards/door prize giveaway. This year the typical pizza was replaced with a food truck sponsored by one of the participant/shops. So cool
1664245213808.png

Oh hey there
1664245232446.png

1664245239877.png

And home!

1664245257746.png

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
64nailhead - it was great seeing you out there each day running great! There were some killer shots of your car on the live feed, and it looked like it kept getting faster each day. Congrats!! I really really want to do a DW/RMRW at some point...
You should have stopped in. Thanks for the compliment. And yes, I went faster every day by design, sort of. I planned to hit it much harder earlier in the week, but I made a snafu a couple of weeks ago and knocked out the head headgaskets. That put me into creeping up the boost level slowly due to the freshly re-assembled top end.

If you want to do it, then do it. It's a great time not only because of the cars and racing, but rather the people. And I've heard that it's the most tiring vacation you'll ever go on and look forward to doing next year haha.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
You should have stopped in. Thanks for the compliment. And yes, I went faster every day by design, sort of. I planned to hit it much harder earlier in the week, but I made a snafu a couple of weeks ago and knocked out the head headgaskets. That put me into creeping up the boost level slowly due to the freshly re-assembled top end.

If you want to do it, then do it. It's a great time not only because of the cars and racing, but rather the people. And I've heard that it's the most tiring vacation you'll ever go on and look forward to doing next year haha.
Ah well I wasn't there, I was watching from New Jersey, hahah. The problem for me is the timing - as a school teacher I can't take a week off in September (DW) or June (RMRW) - our year is labor day through the end of June. I think we need one in the northeast in July or August!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Need a new thread for 2023, but this should get it started

3240D4EF-C384-4843-BEE0-123A1596B4A7.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
SOB.

I don't have enough vacation for this one, but it's a no brainer.

Sick week WI/IA/IL edition in June.

Are there too many events? Probs. With summit Midwest drags and RMRW in June yikes.

FB_IMG_1664715979109.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
SOB.

Are there too many events? Probs. With summit Midwest drags and RMRW in June yikes.

View attachment 208059
There a lot of these events, but that’s not a bad thing imo. A lot of bitchin’ from those that didn’t get into SW. And there is always the same amount of bitchin’ from those that don’t get into DW. So having more of these in different locales seems like a good idea to me. Personally, I’d love to see a N/E based week.

On the other hand , at the moment DW, Midwest Drags and SW are getting a lot of publicity (YouTube $), but if too many of these develop, then I’m not sure it will be good for all of them. But then again, maybe I’m wrong. Perhaps more localized events will spark more interest in the bigger events. I guess time will tell.

No matter how it ends up, the larger the amount of people interested is better for the sport, car community and hobby.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There a lot of these events, but that’s not a bad thing imo. A lot of bitchin’ from those that didn’t get into SW. And there is always the same amount of bitchin’ from those that don’t get into DW. So having more of these in different locales seems like a good idea to me. Personally, I’d love to see a N/E based week.

On the other hand , at the moment DW, Midwest Drags and SW are getting a lot of publicity (YouTube $), but if too many of these develop, then I’m not sure it will be good for all of them. But then again, maybe I’m wrong. Perhaps more localized events will spark more interest in the bigger events. I guess time will tell.

No matter how it ends up, the larger the amount of people interested is better for the sport, car community and hobby.

Yeah, I don't think having a ton of events is bad, after all, I am a bit biased, but I think drag week type events are one of the few hobby/fun drag racing events that you can get some publicity/coverage while not having to race EVERY weekend regionally or nationally for the hard competition.

So since you are in Sick Week FL, what does the cage/safety rules look like? Are they 100% NHRA strict or?

The IA/WI/IL in May sounds great but I'd rather not turn my car down to run 11.50's :/ and I'm not putting a cage in the damn thing.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Same rules as far as I know. I will get the window net in, despite there are exceptions for it.

Putting in a 6 point is not that difficult and it’s also not real intrusive in the car.

Last edited:

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
SOB.

View attachment 208059
Is this event in June a rumor or is it really happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor