Drag Racing Front Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
I'm looking to get rid of the camber swing and toe change when my car launches. As my car sits now it is a backhalfed 1980 Malibu. 14x32 tires, Ladderbars, QA1 Double adjustable rear coil overs, Front suspension is stock control arms upper and lower, stock BJ'S, stock steering linkage, Moroso drag springs and competition engineering 90/10 shocks. the front might sit 1-1.5" lower than stock with the springs.
The car leaves hard with the fronts up. It is strictly a track driven car. I'd like the wheels to stay straight when they are in the air.
Any thoughts???
Orange & Black.PNG

Reactions: SoFloG
There might be some gains in a rack and pinion. As well TRZ offers control arms with lots of caster and droop limiters built in.

Just some spitballing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Injectedcutty
I have a supplier that sells Allstar and I can get the stuff quick and at the right price. They have control arms that look identical to the Speedway stuff. When I called them to ask them if I could use the right hand part number on the left side too (just flipping them over the other way) Allstar said no I couldn't do that. They guy didn't really sound like he's ever worked on a car before...just reading the computer screen! I see the Speedway ones say you can use them on the left.
Anyone ever used any control arms from Allstar Performance?
https://www.allstarperformance.com/

This is what I'm thinking of doing so far:
Upper control arm (if they go on both sides) # ALL57832
Adjustable upper ball joints # ALL56264 & ALL56265
Lower control arm bushings # ALL56222 & ALL56224
Lower Ball joint # ALL56047
Keeping my Moroso coil springs and Competition Eng. front shocks
Cost me less than $600 to do this.
I'd love to buy all new control arms, shocks and springs from QA1 but $2200.00 is not in the budget right now.

With factory arms, you could just get 1/2" taller Upper and lower BJ's from summit for about $220 for all 4 and re-use your stock arms.

Tall balljoints might be a issue if you run 8" wheels or 7's with a lot of BS, but they should clear skinnies fine. The only mod needed is to open the dust shield hole larger for lower BJ clearance.

Arms don't really change anything in the geometry. UB machine upper arms are sold by lots of people, including G-body parts, speedway, etc. They are a little lighter than stock arms, but stock arms will work OK with tall ball joints.

Aftermarket upper arms are generally shorter (especially the right side one for circle track), so they have more static negative camber with less shims added. For going straight. you don't want any negative camber, so you shouldn't need the shorter arms.

I need to replace at least the uppers. They are original and the bushings don't look very good.
Interesting that you say the right side 8" are shorter than the original ones. Do you know the length of the original ones? They sell the left sides 8.5" and 9.0". I have lots of room to shim them towards the header if needed.
I was looking at the car last night in the trailer and the lower control arm and tie rod ends are almost perfectly level side to side.

Reactions: Injectedcutty
I won't get long winded for the fact it was explained pretty well already but we sell our "adjustable" upper a-arm that is shortened with taller ball joints to drag racers for the exact reason you are explaining.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_59_273

If you need any specific info feel free to call us here at the shop.

Craig

I'd love to order a full front end system from you guys. It's just not in the budget right now. I need a quick fix for this weekend/season and I'll buy some better quality components this winter.
Thanks for the advice and the offer for me to call you but I wouldn't feel right to bother you if I'm not prepared to purchase your stuff.
Jamie

I'd love to order a full front end system from you guys. It's just not in the budget right now. I need a quick fix for this weekend/season and I'll buy some better quality components this winter.
Thanks for the advice and the offer for me to call you but I wouldn't feel right to bother you if I'm not prepared to purchase your stuff.
Jamie

These will bolt into your factory upper a-arms

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_262&products_id=677

Craig

• Informative
Reactions: Clarmo
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor