Draining the power steering box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RELL88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2010
California
Okay doing a engine swap, when I was power washing the frame and suspension to clean things up I got a little water inside the power steering box I think. When I removed the power steering lines when the old motor was pulled I just plugged the holes with some little rubber caps/plugs I found in one of my storage drawers for misc BS. I guess these plugs popped out and I didn't even notice while spraying.

I never even really focused too much on that area where the power steering box is so I figure not much water at all go in there but I feel its enough to be concerned with.

What would be proper procedure to drain the box completely so I can fill it back up when I top off all the other fluids? I'm hoping I don't have to removed the whole damn thing.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Re: Draining the power steering pump?

I have always used one of these,You can get just about all the fluid out thru the filler neck.
You can buy one at about any auto parts store.

Attachments

• non-branded-oil-suction-gun.jpg
    non-branded-oil-suction-gun.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 529

RELL88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2010
California
sorry didn't even realize I was typing power steering pump. I edited my first post.

I meant the power steering box that's on the frame. I need to drain/flush the fluid out of that.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
RELL88SS said:
sorry didn't even realize I was typing power steering pump. I edited my first post.

I meant the power steering box that's on the frame. I need to drain/flush the fluid out of that.
Just turn the wheel any fluid in the box will come out of the ports,A little messy but it will push almost all the fluid out.
Put a drain pan under it and clean up with some brake clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor