drivability

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: 86T here and what do youz think of this? After driving over a hour when I come down to a stop my T wants to die. I have to give some gas so it won't stall. When I just drive less than an hour it seem fine. any thoughts?
IBBY

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
hello people: 86T here and what do youz think of this? After driving over a hour when I come down to a stop my T wants to die. I have to give some gas so it won't stall. When I just drive less than an hour it seem fine. any thoughts?
IBBY
Sounds like a fuel pump issue. Could be you've got junk in the tank that's clogging up the strainer, and, as you drive it eventually starts to starve. Shut it off the junk settles back down, then repeats. Could also just be wearing out.

A bad fpr would probably act up all the time, as would a leak.

Reactions: 1 user

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I agree with above.

Check fuel pressure cold then again after a long hour plus ride.

The fuel pump could be dying and only showing signs after it's been running for over an hour or so like you described.

Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
CLICK BAIT. NOT ENOUGH INFO! What do you do after that? Does it restart right away? Do you have to stand on your head and snap your fingers? What?

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
CLICK BAIT. NOT ENOUGH INFO! What do you do after that? Does it restart right away? Do you have to stand on your head and snap your fingers? What?
hello people: You funny guy. If the engine stops coming to a stop it starts right up. I have not checked the pressure but I will. Hey Joe what do you need to know for any help?
IBBY

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
More info would be beneficial.

My guess is clean the EGR system.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
hello people: You funny guy. If the engine stops coming to a stop it starts right up. I have not checked the pressure but I will. Hey Joe what do you need to know for any help?
IBBY
Are you running a lock up torque converter? Does it work? Sometimes the lockup solenoid will stick in the on position. This will cause the engine to stall at stops. Like a manual trans when the clutch pedal isn't pushed.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: I have a 86 T-type Buick. Same everything as a GN. EGR is shut off thru the chip so that's out. I do believe it's a lock up TC but not sure. What ever is stock for a GN is what I have. I do believe the fuel pressure reading will tell the tale?
IBBY

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor