Drive shaft upgrade??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I have the stock drive shaft in my 81 olds with a th350 trans. 52 1/2 center to center. Is there a good upgrade from some other vehicle that would bolt in with new joints. I have see two of these twist off coming out of the water box at the track. I would like something stronger with out going to a custom build.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Please google Drive Shaft Critical Rpm and educate yourself on what's going on. Precision Shaft Technologies site has a nice chart. A custom shaft is not that much and probably save you money in the long run.

81oldsdragcar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2013
I have an aftermarket one (not sure on the brand). It's measures 52 1/2" center to center and 3" in diameter. I'm asking $125 plus shipping. If interested pm me your email and I can send you pictures.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Are the stock drive shafts steel? If so, what kind of weight savings can one expect with an aluminum one?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yav8 said:
I have the stock drive shaft in my 81 olds with a th350 trans. 52 1/2 center to center. Is there a good upgrade from some other vehicle that would bolt in with new joints. I have see two of these twist off coming out of the water box at the track. I would like something stronger with out going to a custom build.

they have twisted the joke or the shaft?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Supposedly aluminum police Crown Victoria drive shafts will bolt into a g body after being cut down some by a shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor