Driveshaft Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna crawl under my car this weekend and think of some ways to mount one. The reason I don't like that design is because it looks like it still gives the driveshaft plenty of room to throw itself around. it would stop most damage if the transmission u joint failed but if the pinion u joint failed, then the safety loop is too close to the trans to actually stop the driveshaft from whipping around near the rear end.

I have only seen them mounted to crossmember or where stock little brace is.

patmckinneyracing said:
if the pinion u joint failed, then the safety loop is too close to the trans to actually stop the driveshaft from whipping around near the rear end.

I'm guessing the main purpose of it is to just protect the driver, I would guess that NHRA spec has a requirement for a second loop more twoards the rear diff for real quick cars.

I was just looking at my recent pic, doesnt look like a whole lot of options..
101_0021.jpg

I have only seen driveshaft breaks whip around under the car and tear sh*t up...loop is there to prevent it from flinging around too much. Heard of snapped driveshafts spitting out from under the car and heard myths of broken shafts actually standing cars up. Either way just a safety feature, required for most tracks. Most of the time driveshaft snaps it's either on launch with drag cars or under extreme load in 4x4. I've never seen them do too much damage though...usually looks like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUvjJbv-i-0

this video just made me laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrZkBVCdsQ

Believe me, that little factory bracket you showed couldn't protect a fly. My driveshaft ripped itself in half, screwed up my floors, and came through the transmission tunnel and got me in my right leg. Luckily most of the carpet had stopped it.

patmckinneyracing said:
The reason I don't like that design is because it looks like it still gives the driveshaft plenty of room to throw itself around. it would stop most damage if the transmission u joint failed but if the pinion u joint failed, then the safety loop is too close to the trans to actually stop the driveshaft from whipping around near the rear end.

That's why you would need another safety loop for the rear end. The front safety loop is only meant to keep the the driveshaft from digging into the ground if a u-joint fails.
If the rear pinion u-joint breaks, you'll still have carnage but nothing quite as bad as if the front goes.

patmckinneyracing said:
That's why I mentioned that, so I'm gonna put in two safety loops so I don't have to put up with the same BS as I did over the christmas break.

My bad. I thought you were trying to imply that he should design the front loop to serve both functions which would be impossible.

Another option to is to go to a stronger driveshaft and U-joints. ;)

putting a rear hoop is the benefit for drivers behind you so they don't end up running over the drive droops out if the rear u-joint fails

The driveshaft I picked up is steel and is a smaller diameter but feels like it is a thicker gauge steel compared to the flimsy stock driveshaft. I'm gonna take it over to the local driveshaft shop and have them balance it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor