Dumb question- '78 305 Valve stem seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stationwagonguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2009
Detroit
I've established now that the motor in my '78 Impala, the original 305, needs valve stem seals. Bad. Problem is, I don't know what I should get. Are there several different styles of valve stem seals for SBCs or is there just a one-size-fits-all?

It's a totally unmolested stock 305 2bbl, so I presume it has stock heads and nothing's been changed.

Would these seals from Fel-Pro work? I've heard that the blue and white things cut down on cold start oil smoke as well (well, what of it comes from the valve stem seals, haha). But someone else mentioned having to do some sort of machining to make them work, and I'm not fully sure why these would help (unless I just need to see them in action)-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-SS72527/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-SS72526/

Anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

The second style should work. The first style requires machining to your guides.

head off to a local speed shop engine builder and they usually have some to sell you or they can tell you what they use....

DRIVEN said:
The second style should work. The first style requires machining to your guides.
Would I use the second style for intake and exhaust (the white ones)? It labels them as intake for the first one (blue) and exhaust for the second (white) on their website.

I'll try searching out a decent engine shop.

Anyone else have other suggestions?

I'm not sure why they list one style as intake and one as exhaust. When I checked the second time, I also noticed the note that says they don't require machining. I've always had good luck with the second style on both the intake and exhaust. When you talk to the machine shop just go by their recommendation. They do this for a living...most of us are just playing with our toys :lol: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor