Dumb question- Do I need special lugnuts for GTA wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stationwagonguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2009
Detroit
I'm putting a set of Firebird GTA mesh aluminum wheels on my '78 Impala... and for whatever reason, the stock lugnuts just don't look right on there. The hex part has actually screwed partially inside of the dished area of the lug hole on the wheel, and it just sort of looks like I have too small of lugnuts for these wheels. Am I crazy or do you need bigger/special lugnuts to use the Aluminum wheels as opposed to factory steelies?

gotmonte

Apprentice
May 24, 2009
Do the wheels stick out wider than the wheel well? If so, you may need longer studs or something. You sure you have the right off set for the wheels?

Just figured I would ask. I know I had a problem in the rear similar in my 01 camaro ss with a different set of wheels. I had to get longer studs for the lugnuts to screw onto

stationwagonguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2009
Detroit
The studs aren't the issue, really. The wheels come close to the edge of being outside, but that still doesn't really change the fact that the lugnuts I have seem to fit funky.

monteboy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2005
I'm guessing your lugnuts look like these?
broken_stud.jpg

You should have ones that look like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-12MM- ... 1c0ec78d04

-matt

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I'm gonna take a guess and say that you are using standard acorn style lug nuts. If so then get a set of bulge style lug nuts, they have a bit of a lip on the cone shape of the lug nut.

stationwagonguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2009
Detroit
Yes, I'm using standard acorn nuts, like those pictured. Where should I get a set of this other style?

I have a small issue that I have two different diameter lug studs on the car- the original '78 ones in back, and some slightly bigger ones for the 3rd gen F-body performance 12" front rotors I installed in front. So I'm wondering how I get myself the right lug nuts in the two different diameters?

monteboy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2005
I'd remove one of your rear studs and take it to a local parts store, get some new studs for the rear to match the 12x1.5 Metric studs you have in front. Then, I'd order the lugnuts from the ebay link I posted before, they'll work for you. You could also go to a local salvage yard, they should have those lugnuts by the bucket-full, along with the black plastic caps that thread onto them for you.

-matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor