ECM -> new Carburetor???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get a Qjet for nearly any year Olds 350, it will be close on tune, especially the mid 70's and up. Plus the 75 and up are 800 cfm vs 750 cfm. Any Qjet will bolt to your stock manifold. Pick up either a 75 to 80 Olds V8 distributor used or a new $50 Ebay distributor for an Olds V8. The HEI will plug right in place. You can get a lock up kit from somewhere like TCI or use a toggle switch and turn it off around town or when coming to a stop. The cruise control just needs the black wire grounded at the speed sensor near the speedometer.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Most likely your problem is a massive vacuum leak somewhere. When the ECM is disconnected, the E4ME Qjet defaults to full rich. If your car runs better at full rich, you got one heck of a vacuum leak leaning out your fuel mixture. Also without the ECM, you will not have any ignition timing advance either.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Most likely your problem is a massive vacuum leak somewhere. When the ECM is disconnected, the E4ME Qjet defaults to full rich. If your car runs better at full rich, you got one heck of a vacuum leak leaning out your fuel mixture. Also without the ECM, you will not have any ignition timing advance either.

Bingo.

-Gonz

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
The Spark Plugs are black, you smell it at the exhaust and the car need a lot of fuel.
Is it possible with a vacuum leak?

Yes

-Gonz

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Vacuum leaks are introducing unfiltered air into the engine. With the ecm plugged in it will try and compensate by adding more fuel. As said unplugging the ecm entirely will default to full rich.

Reactions: 1 user

GermanDude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 10, 2019
Germany, Brandenburg
Hey Folks,
thanks for your help.

I check some vacuum parts.
I think the EGR-Valve (1 in the pic) has a leak and also a tube at part 2 at the pic, i dont know what a part it is?

Attachments

• o02.jpg
    o02.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 198

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
with the car running pinch the hose going to the egr valve and that other hose with your fingers and see if it stabilizes and smooths out. if so, you found your issue. that big black box you marked #2 looks like something with the cruise control... I'm not sure. Never seen that thing before.

GermanDude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 10, 2019
Germany, Brandenburg
Hey Folks I think I have also a leak on the Manifold intake.
It leaks oil and somewhere water, are there waterchanels in it?

I have to replace the gasket… are the any special things i need to know when i do this?
Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor