Edelbrock carb aggrivating me. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Here is my set up:

1984 Cutlass with 350 Olds. I have a brand new 1406 carb with the stock cast iron intake. There is an 1" aluminum adapter between the carb and intake, with the extra thick rubber Edelbrock gasket in place aswell. I have a brand new stock mechanical fuel pump. The motor has 800 miles on it since it was rebuild a few months ago.

My problem:

When the motor is cool, I can turn the key and it will fire right up. But if I drive down to the store, ten minutes later it will be hard to start. The starter spins over very fast. But it acts like it isnt getting any fuel. Have to turn over for five to ten seconds before it fires up, Then the car runs fine. If i try and crank it immediately after shutting it off, it will fire instantly. But if I let it sit for five or ten mins, I have to turn it over a bunch. I live in the Florida panhandle if it matters. I was thinking fuel was boiling, but I got the extra thick gasket, and I'm still having the problem.

Any Ideas on what it could be? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

342lx

n00b
Nov 22, 2009
check the float height, if it is to high from the factory your flooding the engine once it is shut off.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
84Hurst/Olds said:
Here is my set up:

1984 Cutlass with 350 Olds. I have a brand new 1406 carb with the stock cast iron intake. There is an 1" aluminum adapter between the carb and intake, with the extra thick rubber Edelbrock gasket in place aswell. I have a brand new stock mechanical fuel pump. The motor has 800 miles on it since it was rebuild a few months ago.

My problem:

When the motor is cool, I can turn the key and it will fire right up. But if I drive down to the store, ten minutes later it will be hard to start. The starter spins over very fast. But it acts like it isnt getting any fuel. Have to turn over for five to ten seconds before it fires up, Then the car runs fine. If i try and crank it immediately after shutting it off, it will fire instantly. But if I let it sit for five or ten mins, I have to turn it over a bunch. I live in the Florida panhandle if it matters. I was thinking fuel was boiling, but I got the extra thick gasket, and I'm still having the problem.

Any Ideas on what it could be? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sounds like the choke is not adjusted properly. Actually, it really sounds like the carb is telling you to put a Qjet back on.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I too advise Q-jet but only because I use non ccc types exclusively and they work great. Ditto check the choke. As well, check the EFE valve. It is located on one manifold where the head pipe bolts up and has a vacuum line going to a TVS on the intake. It shuts off as motor heats up and then EFE valve opens. If it is stuck in the "on" position it will force all exhaust from the EFE valve side through the intake crossover, superheating the manifold and boiling your fuel right out of the carb as it sits. Then when you try to start it, the bowl is dry. It's rare, but happens enough to double check it.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
This may sound pretty dumb, but how exactly do you set the choke? I waited until the motor was cold, and tried to set it originally. I just loosened the three screws and turned the choke untill almost shut. Then tightened the screws. Not sure if this is the right way to do it or not.

And can I check the float level without removing the carb from the car?

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
Your on the right track with the choke. On the throttle linkage, at the bottom of it, is a small screw to adjust the fast idle when the car is started. Start it cold,check the idle rpm, then shut the car off, adjust the screw and restart. Get it to where you like the rpm and leave it be.

Checking the float levels is really simple with the Edelbrock carbs. Remove the air breather stud and fuel line. Take out the metering rods and springs. Take out the clips for the choke and accelerator pump and pull those rods loose. Take out the screws that are around the top and the top of the carb will come right off. Flip the top over and the floats are right there. Factory setting is supposed to be 7/16 from the carb top when flipped over. Check out Edelbrocks website and check out the book for the carb unless you have the book already.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Ok well now I'm really thinking that my only problem is my carb flooding out. I was driving today and my car died as I tried to accelerate across an intersection. I threw it in neutral, and the car wouldn't fire back up. I got it coasted over to the shoulder, and popped the hood. I heard fuel moving, so I popped off the air cleaner. Fuel was constantly being dumped in my motor with the switch off and car stopped. I held the pedal to the floor and it stopped the gas from comming out.

Is there anything besides the float level that could cause this to happen? I will try and check the float level today. Just curious if it is right, what else should I check. Thanks.

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
You can check the jets when the top is off. The mains are where the metering rods go down and secondarys are in the rear section. There will be a pcs of metal that will have to be pulled out to check them. I would also pull the adjustment screws in the front and blow them out real good. There may be a clog in there. Might want to check the fuel pressure and make sure its not overflowing the carb.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
I have a pressure guage on my fuel line, and it is holding at 5 psi. Don't know if that is too much, but I can't imagine it being a problem.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
5 psi is just fine. Anything over 7 psi is generally considered too much on a carburated street vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor