Edelbrock SP2P and a 260.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You want a small cfm carb on a 260 if not going Qjet, think Holley 390 or Edelbrock 500. The SP2P is a very low profile intake, idle to 4500 rpm with small triangle shaped intake ports. You will gain a very small amount up top regardless, I would add a square to spreadbore adapter. There is a ton of room to add adapters, the intake is lower than stock. Even that thin gold plate should wirk. When I had the SO2P intake on an Olds 307 then a mild Olds 350 in my 78 1/2 ton. Part throttle was great, like EFI. The top end sucked, it fell on it's face, too much carb with the Qjet, the air door would need adjustment for less air. I had it on my 94 4x4 with factory TBI on the Olds 350, it worked very well, I should have left it there. I thought it was limiting top end with the maybe 500 cfm TBI but it was throttle cable issues, fine once fixed but I went A4 anyways to match the 307 heads. I would think 500 cfm would max is what that intake or the 260 heads could take. Either the Holley or Edelbrock carb should be purchased with a tuning kit, probably way rich out of box. The forced air, dual exhaust Olds 260/TH2004R/3.42 combo is one to consider. Peppy and very good mileage in town or on the highway, 26 mpg Imperial highway, shooting for 30 mpg in good weather, town is similar. I gained 5 mpg highway over a 260/TH350/2.78 combo. If you kill the 260's mileage, what the hell is the point of the 260?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

oilman666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2013
Austria/Europe
Hi,

the "velocity-layout" of the sp2p changes the feeling of your car completely. imho this combo is the only mod on the 260 that makes sense since is simple part-swapping an cheap (if you can get your hands on a good used carb).

I also used headers, it really woke up the 260.

cheers

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Hi,

the "velocity-layout" of the sp2p changes the feeling of your car completely. imho this combo is the only mod on the 260 that makes sense since is simple part-swapping an cheap (if you can get your hands on a good used carb).

I also used headers, it really woke up the 260.

cheers
Headers and duals do help. My question is how much an intake that is all about part throttle will help the top end charge? That is really where the 260 needs a kick in the pants. My 260 is great for what it is idle to maybe 3500 rpm at most. Over that it sounds really laboured like a fat old man running and could die any time.

oilman666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2013
Austria/Europe
Headers and duals do help. My question is how much an intake that is all about part throttle will help the top end charge? That is really where the 260 needs a kick in the pants. My 260 is great for what it is idle to maybe 3500 rpm at most. Over that it sounds really laboured like a fat old man running and could die any time.

Really?? Ok, my 260 had a total different charateristic. Off the line you had to fear
cyclists, school busses, tractors - once moving it was "ok". Didn't help top end - you're right, but acceleration and part throttlle cruising was WAY more comfortable (and safe ;))

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Really?? Ok, my 260 had a total different charateristic. Off the line you had to fear
cyclists, school busses, tractors - once moving it was "ok". Didn't help top end - you're right, but acceleration and part throttlle cruising was WAY more comfortable (and safe ;))
Maybe I have an exceptional 260. Even the first test drive when I bought my 70, I knew full well it had an Olds 260 transplanted along with the stock TH350 and 2.78 gears with 2" od dual exhaust. I thought wow this isn't as horrible as I thought. Even in the valley it pulled through the hills. I finally checked the timing, around 30 at 800 rpm, 25 around 600 rpm with the vacuum advance unhooked. This is also the first HEI I found with a quick advance curve, must start advancing around 500 rpm! I added one light and medium advance spring and it helped a bit more.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What kind of mileage are you guys getting with your 260's? I should have kept the headers and dual exhaust until I put a 2004R back in, it might have spun the tires on pabement! Either way a 260 with fresh air, dual exhaust, 2004R and 3.42's with a ton of timing performs Ok and gets good mileage.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I have to weigh in on the 260. My very first G-body was a 78 Cutlass. It was a 260 TH200 car. The motor was flat out indestructible. Period. Believe me I tried. I was 16-17. I did things to that car I wont admit to this day,..... but it was fun. It used so much oil that I poured anything, I mean anything into the crankcase to keep it spinning. Gear lube, trans fluid, 50W whatever. It would just come out the tail pipe anyway. I over heated it about a dozen times at least. Bad. It always started back up after cooling off. When I finally was able to get on my feet and afford to replace it. I drove it to the junk yard. It was the car that made me love G-bodies, almost made an Oldsmobile guy. I saved the trunk release out of it and the gas cap. Still have them both, 30 years later. They go into every G-body I've owned since. My tribute to the most indestructible car ever built. Bar none. It was also just about the slowest car I have ever owned. LOL. Still love that raggedy turd

Sorry to hijack your thread. I can imagine finding anyone else who would appreciate that story so I leave it here for you.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Reminds me of my friends 81 Chevy Impala with an Olds 307. Same thing, we ran it right off the dipstick 3 times that long weekend. Drove it too the floor and we were filling it with 15w40. Car ran for years after that till it back fired and burnt to the ground. Just one of the many reasons I am an Olds guy. Most Olds V8's I have owned and delt with didn't leak/burn like that one. This one uses a moderate amount of oil. It is more the sludge and low oil pressure, running a 10W40/5W50 combo. I had a tick with SN 10W40 so I am using SL Motorcycle 10W40 with a liter of 5W50 thrown in.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor