Efficient Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

86RegalLimited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2007
Northampton, MA
82355supreme said:
It wouldn't stop accelerating, but it would stop "pulling hard" & more slowly rev to 5,500. The only way to stop it from losing power at higher revs is to have a better set of heads than Vortecs & to have a camshaft that has a powerband of up 6,000 RPM

What type of heads are those? How much do they cost? When the engine is "slowly revving" as you said, how is it comparable to an engine with stock heads?

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin

86RegalLimited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2007
Northampton, MA
82355supreme said:
Dart Iron Eagle heads. About $700/pair thru www.aeroheadracing.com A stock headed engine of this age bracket is also "out of air" by then. Like I said before, for the extra $100 you're getting ALOT better set of heads than Vortecs & are capable of valve lift beyond .500 Check this link out, you'll learn something.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techa ... ndex4.html

AND

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/ ... acing.html

Thank you very much for those links. I see what you mean about the Dart Iron Eagle heads. They definitely seem like the way to go.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
For the money they can't be beat!! I have the Iron Eagles, & I'll tell you that the numbers that are posted on my signature are "pre-Iron Eagle" Those numbers were with stock junk 76cc 1.72/1.5" valves

Add about 50-60 ponies & 20-30 ft lbs to that now with the Iron Eagles. :wink:

86RegalLimited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2007
Northampton, MA
82355supreme said:
For the money they can't be beat!! I have the Iron Eagles, & I'll tell you that the numbers that are posted on my signature are "pre-Iron Eagle" Those numbers were with stock junk 76cc 1.72/1.5" valves

Add about 50-60 ponies & 20-30 ft lbs to that now with the Iron Eagles. :wink:

Do you have the s/s's or the 180s?

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
A good power combo is 9.5-10.0:1 compression, a cam with .480-.510 lift & 230* duration, heads... you know, a Edelbrock, Weiand, or Holley DUAL plane intake, 650 Holley Double Pump carb & a good HEI Distributor to light the fire.

By the way, I have the Dart 180s.

elcaminokyle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2007
It's looks like alot of questions and answers are towards the engine of the car but don't forget the rearend! If you have some rearend gear ratio like 2.56 or worse, you may never be happy with your around town performance. I had spent alot of money and made some bad choices on my engine in high school and wasn't really happy with it. Then for 100 dollars I bought another rearend that already had 3.73's in it and junked my old 2.56's and I was much happier with that 100 dollar purchase than the thousand plus I had spent on too big of a cam, machine shop bill blah, blah, blah.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Is a 2.56 what I've got in my GP? I have the 3.8 V6 and 3 speed auto. All i know it is SUCKS!! lol. When I do my swap, even if I only got 305 for now, I'm definately getting a 3.73 or higher..

To swap a rear end (as in if I find a good 3.73), do you just drop the old and bolt on the new one? I couldn't really see it being any more extansive than that...

Do I have to solely look for G body rears, or is any G body plug and play?

Sorry for thread jacking, I'm just curious...

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Yes a better rear gear is needed also, 3.42--3.73 As is a converter with a stall speed of 2200-2800

To swap gears is a little more involved than just unbolting old & bolting in new. Swapping in say a Monte Carlo SS entire assembly (housing,axles,brakes,etc.), which the Overdrive years came with 3.73's, in some cases would be just as fast as doing a gear only swap.

However not all were a positraction unit. Posi was an option, but the 3.73 ratio was standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor