El Camino is going racing

Status
Not open for further replies.

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
Decided not to put the Elcamino on the street but to use it as a race car instead,since the dragway is only about 5 miles away from my house and I never raced before and its about time I started. Got a couple questions. Would it be ok to mount the battery in the little cubby behind the seats, don't really want it out in the bed. Also was thinking of getting a mini spool,cause the budget doesn't allow for a posy unit,should be OK for the track for now? Other than that, trans is rebuild with shift kit and 2000-2200 stall converter, 350 sbc with edelbrock performer,edelbrock 600 cfm carb rebuildn new accel distributor with high power coil, got some old hooker headers i was going to install, run them open or what? Any other tips or low cost suggestions to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
what kind of rear end do you have? i came across a full spool for the 7.5 a little while ago..that might be a better option if they do make them, if not a spool should be fine, and if its just a strip only car put some 4:10's or a lower gear in it. the battery should be fine, just make sure its secured well. run open headers if you can. if the track frowns upon that just get the header mufflers that bolt on right off the header. get some slicks!! have fun

BBC_cutty

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2008
harald said:
Decided not to put the Elcamino on the street but to use it as a race car instead,since the dragway is only about 5 miles away from my house and I never raced before and its about time I started. Got a couple questions. Would it be ok to mount the battery in the little cubby behind the seats, don't really want it out in the bed. Also was thinking of getting a mini spool,cause the budget doesn't allow for a posy unit,should be OK for the track for now? Other than that, trans is rebuild with shift kit and 2000-2200 stall converter, 350 sbc with edelbrock performer,edelbrock 600 cfm carb rebuildn new accel distributor with high power coil, got some old hooker headers i was going to install, run them open or what? Any other tips or low cost suggestions to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

i dont know what the rules are where your at, but here in vancouver bc, at mission (best strip in north america)...sea level air, and fresh turf...loll

BATTERY must be in a seperate conpartment from driver, if its in the trunk you MUST have a rear fire wall
this also applys for NOS, and fuel cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor