Electric Fuel Pump Diode

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
So, I picked up an electric fuel pump controller, which I'm happy with so far.
In the instructions, it says to (optionally) put a diode (included) from the pos wire to ground, or across the pump wires.
1000007349.jpg

Why is this? I've been reading a bunch, and I can't find a solid answer why this is a thing?

WAGOOON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2023
A diode is a noise suppression device. It’s not gonna do much on a fuel pump.
Typically a diode would go on something like a fan relay. When the relay shuts off it sends a fly back pulse through the control wires that can really mess with ECM signals like the crank signal. Makes the engine lose synchronization. A diode absorbs that fly back pulse and eliminates it. You’ll also find diodes on A/C compressor clutches for the same reason.

Reactions: 1 user

WAGOOON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2023
I guess maybe if the fuel pump is messing with your stereo system adding a humming noise to your speakers then maybe a diode might help to quiet that down I’m not really sure.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I remember back in my early RC days(90s)... the brushed motors, at the time, that were used to power the wheels had a small disc capacitor across the positive and negative terminals.

But electrical motors with a flyback diode is new to me, they are typically used across the power activation terminals on switching relays to suppress/eliminate the high volage spike that was produced that typically destroy the internal contacts when the power was cut off.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor