Electric fuel pump mount locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
No picsbut its screwed to the spare tire well. Its also on its side which I hear isn't the best idea.

I'm pretty sure it was to mount it higher. I have a badly rigged sump, coming out of the bottom/middle of the tank, instead of the back. It's supposed to be for trial puposes. But any way with that I ran the line straight over to the pump which puts te pump towards the front of the spare tire well. If I had a normally sumped tank(sump in the back), then i'd be able to mount the pump to the back of the well, or the side of it and i'd think there might be more room there to stand it up.

I assume this is an out of tank electric. I hope this is for a drag only car. They are gravity fed so to work well and live a reasonable life they have to be below and behind the fuel which makes them a road/crash hazzard. Also if you use a return style regulator so that the fuel stays cool and can just keep flowing they will live longer. You can't do much about the noise other than rubber mount it but with a drag car who cares.

If its for a street car consider a Grand National or 4.3tbi Monte tank. You can also buy them new on ebay including the in tank hanger. http://www.racetronix.com has the pumps and ready made wireing to make it a snap. Better all the way around and often cheaper when comparing to out of tank with cost of sump or cell.

I mounted mine above the rearend and slightly forward. Bolted it to that plate thats right below the back seat.

In my opinion mounting the fuel pump above ANY moving object is a very bad idea!

I realize its unlikely to have a suspension failure that would cause the rear end to ever come in contact with it but still. Not a good idea.

I have to agree with Vern that the best solution is the GN or Monte tank swap.

Keep in mind too with an electric pump you really should install a factory inertia switch like what was used in the '80's Fox body mustang's. This way if your ever rear ended (God forbid), the switch will shut off the pump.

There used to be youtube footage of a Buick GS that got rear ended waiting to get in at a track. The fuel pump was between the back of the tank and the bumper. Kaboom burned up a beautiful car that a guy stuck lots of work and money in.

Here's my contribution:

26890260341_large.jpg

26890260342_large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor