Holy crap! That's an accident waiting to happen! :shock:

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
FE3X CLONE said:

Enlighten me.

Honestly, I don't have a clue about the installation. I took it to a shop back home and they put it in for me. I took it to another shop out in TX and they said it was a good install. The shop in TX is a well known shop in the area that specializes in high performance cars and trucks. They've built several drag cars, and a few cars that have been on PINKS. So If you know something that they don't, please share.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
well it's mounted just above the UCA and rear axle and there's excessive, loose, and free standing rubber line.
i am going to assume that you are running a carb? if not, you also have the wrong line. that line is perfect for low pressure, but not good over (IIRC) 15psi.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
megaladon6 said:
well it's mounted just above the UCA and rear axle and there's excessive, loose, and free standing rubber line.
i am going to assume that you are running a carb? if not, you also have the wrong line. that line is perfect for low pressure, but not good over (IIRC) 15psi.

Yeah it's Holley carb'd and the pressure is at 5 psi now. That line has been trimmed since that pic was taken. Also, I'm running UMI's tubulart double adjustable upper and lower rear trailing arms now.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Mega pretty much hit on the reasons.

There's also too much rubber line. You should have no more than 12" of rubber line in the entire system.

Plus the fact that the only thing holding the fuel line out of the way is the ground wire? Definitely not safe. At the very least a few Adel clamps would have been nice.

The number one rule of a fuel pump or fuel installation is to keep it away from any moving parts. They mounted your pump directly above some of the most moving parts in the entire car. What happens if you smack a large bump? You might get lucky and never have a problem. However the one time you do have a problem could be catastrophic!

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
As stiff as my suspension is, I doubt that I'll have any problems.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Well, if it burns to the ground you'll know why. :lol:

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
FE3X CLONE said:
Well, if it burns to the ground you'll know why. :lol:

Oh well, I got another one.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
FE3X CLONE said:

:rofl: You should see mine.

Another issue with Qdub24's is that it isn't gravity fed and being mounted in front of the tank makes the fuel fight against the forward motion on launch or any accelaration. Not picking Qdub just stating, might work fine for ya but it could aslo shorten the life of the pump.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
I'm not sure about this gravity feed stuff, I think the old model Ts were gravity fed, but we are past that era now. :) What about all the cars before they became fuel injected, were they "gravity feed"?? :shock: No, they were fed by an engine or block mounted manual fuel pump. The pump creates a siphon action on the suction side, which might or might not be called "gravity feed". The electric fuel pumps inside the fuel tanks are not gravity feed either, they pump the fuel out creating a suction on the intake side which helps to keep the fuel system primed. Mount the pumps wherever you want to, straight up and down, not on the side, rubber mounts to eliminate noise, as little rubber line as possible, and I would put them on the inside of the frame, about under the quarter window. But you can mount them anywhere!! I use two on my drag car, and they are on the inside of the frame, about under the quarter window. :D ................................mickey-d :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor