Electric gurus, can a '81 delay wiper switch work a '84 & newer delay motor?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This has been on my mind for sometime if it could be possible to operate a '84-'88 delay wiper motor with a '80-'81 dash mounted delay switch. I know the '83 & older has the power circuit going to the motor, ground to the switch. "84 & newer is reversed. The idea is to switch my '81's power to the switch like the newer one, send the ground to the motor. I'm not worried about the motor as much as the switch. As it just completes the power loop per each circuit (low, high, delay settings...) the electric flow shouldn't affect the function unlike a DC motor. Both switches have the 91, 92, 94 & 95 circuits which works with my idea. The 150 ground would be swapped with the 93 power. Same as for the wiper motor but the newer one has a circuit (196) that only connects between two terminals on the motor itself & needs 93 to be replaced by 150. Simple enough but then I have to figure if the delay selector (guessing its a rheostat) on the dash switch would perform like the column switch delay selector & have the same ohm value range. I wish I knew more about electric systems other than how to build harnesses & repair wires & terminals. So if any of you guys who really know anything about this let me know what you guys think & know.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
It sounds like it should be possible but I am as confused by electronics as you. Are you saying you car is negative and want to use a positive motor? Way back, when we were struggling with the lack of switches available for the negative system, we gave up trying to combine the two. You needed one system or the other. IIRC Jack [Longroof79] adapted the positive system to his original negative car. But he used all the positive column parts and motor. The motor fitment was tight but he managed it.

• Informative
In my mind with swapping the motors it would be switching out the power & ground wires for the newer motor then my dash switch would then just function with the electric flow in reverse. It's more on the delay to ensure the twist of the knob will still hit all & run all the set delay timing.

I would worry more that something normally grounded would then become hot.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor