Electric "Muscle" Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I certainly don't have a solution. But when asked why we should have to curb our emissions when other developing countries are not, it's because we believe it's the right thing to do (granted, not everyone shares that sentiment) and we can. Our standard of living affords us the luxury to try and make a difference.
But you're missing one important point. Our standard of living is due to previous free enterprise and a so-called free-market economic system. Also, we reportedly live in a "free" society. So you have to win people over or hit them with a stick, which usually goes over real well- not.

But the biggest issue I'm seeing is that when the "selling points" of doing this or that to make a difference as you say doen't convince enough people to want to make that difference, then instead of going back and making a better and more convincing argument or revamping the messaging, it's typically just forced upon the masses when discussions don't work. Don't like Kalifornia's laws? Then move out of the state. Start voting for people that share your views, mostly anway. Whatever's important to you.

Just because it can damage the earth, doesn't mean you must act to save it. Especially if the majority of the rest of the world isn't. So you may extend life on average another 15 minutes with all that effort and money. Ok.

It's similar to someone dying on the sidewalk. If you don't render 1st aid, that's a choice. And you won't go to jail if you don't render 1st aid. Person could live or die, but it's a choice you have to live with, whichever one you choose.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Down here we have a government standard, NHTSA FMVSS141. It basically says that we must at least be able to hear them coming.

I kid you not, EV buyers are already complaining about not being able to just turn off their fake engine sounds.

The government will circumvent its own policies for your safety.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's just one step further from the fake engine sounds that car makers have been pumping into the cabin for years (if not decades) now. It's not really anything new. Just now they're making the noise outside the vehicle instead of just inside.

motorboating GIF

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
But you're missing one important point. Our standard of living is due to previous free enterprise and a so-called free-market economic system. Also, we reportedly live in a "free" society. So you have to win people over or hit them with a stick, which usually goes over real well- not.

But the biggest issue I'm seeing is that when the "selling points" of doing this or that to make a difference as you say doen't convince enough people to want to make that difference, then instead of going back and making a better and more convincing argument or revamping the messaging, it's typically just forced upon the masses when discussions don't work. Don't like Kalifornia's laws? Then move out of the state. Start voting for people that share your views, mostly anway. Whatever's important to you.

Just because it can damage the earth, doesn't mean you must act to save it. Especially if the majority of the rest of the world isn't. So you may extend life on average another 15 minutes with all that effort and money. Ok.

It's similar to someone dying on the sidewalk. If you don't render 1st aid, that's a choice. And you won't go to jail if you don't render 1st aid. Person could live or die, but it's a choice you have to live with, whichever one you choose.

All completely valid points. Every single decision for people is an internal cost/benefit analysis in one way or another. Weighing the cost and benefit of doing something vs. the same of doing nothing (or doing something different).

The challenge here is what each person believes is the cost - or at least the probable cost based on various potential outcomes. On one hand, you've got one side saying that the potential outcome is catastrophic with rising sea levels and New York and California sinking into the ocean - recognizing that some people view that outcome as a benefit :) The other repercussions include severe weather, floods, famine, locusts. You know...Old Testament kind of stuff. So in that case, the argument is that the outcome of doing nothing is so dire, that we should all be doing whatever we can regardless of what anyone is willing to do.

Whether one believe those outcomes to be likely is up to each individual. Same as whether one believe that government regulations are truly being implemented to help by implementing carbon taxes and eco incentives to try and skew each persons' cost benefit analysis or; you believe that the government is simply pandering to the issue of the day because that's what is expected of them.

For myself, I'm clearly not an eco warrior. I'll do what I can where I think there's a benefit to me, either financially or to satisfy my own conscience. I drive a half tonne truck, a 4x4 toy for offroading, a motorcycle (which is not 100 cc runabout), and use a variety of two stroke and diesel powered tools around the property. But I'm also considering solar, mostly because I believe that that payback will be worth the investment - the ecological benefits are a bonus.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Are we being better stewards of the climate/environment?

Depends where the power comes from... otherwise its a lie.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
FFS I'm shutting this down. Cripes. Bans getting warmed up.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Keep your political conspiracy bullshit off the site. You know exactly what you're doing, and the next time there will be bans. You know who you are.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor