Electrical Demons being removed - Wiring identification help? Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Having a hard time getting a working oil gauge and temperature gauge in the car. starting at the source of information I don't even know where to put the sensors in the 454. I know where they can go... but where they fit and where they should be are two different things. If anyone can source pictures of that it would be a huge help. Then I have wires... wires for days just cut and left for dead. HELP! I need to identify what I am missing and what I need out of this harness that was hacked by the last owner.

IMG_2573.JPG IMG_2574.JPG IMG_2575.JPG IMG_2576.JPG IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2578.JPG IMG_2579.JPG IMG_2580.JPG

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
I've soldiered the red (pink) 12V source to the plug for the HEI and I soldered the capacitor back into the tach wire. I found the TAN oil pressure sending unit wire... but have no where to mount it because a sending unit that size doesn't fit on the back of the big block... No clue where to find the factory Temp Sensor green wire. and where should I put my temp sensor for the gauge, in the head or on the manifold, I already have the fan's temp switch on the manifold (maybe switch it?)

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The coolant sensor in the top left pic is for a CCC system for which he will need a pigtail for. This is not the temp gauge. The middle top is an oil pressure for current to the electric choke.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
YIKES what a mess. The oil sender can be put at any source of oil pressure. If it does not fit don't be afraid to use an elbow or extension to locate it. Do you have a factory manual for wiring diagrams? Try here>>http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Somebody please check my work. the one with the red arrow is either HVAC or the air pump thingie on the passenger side.
Rat's Nest.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The socket with 2 slots is for an oil pressure sender for the electric choke. If your run an electric choke, tee into the factory setup and use a two prong oil pressure switch. iirc on my regal there were 3 wires on that 2 socket plug, tan, brown, blue. blue went to the choke element, tan was the light for the choke/oil light, brown was hot from the fuse box.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd look into another engine harness for a gauge car. That one looks a little abused. Be sure if you do get like a '86 or newer. Someone here may have an extra one.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Suggest picking up a Chassis Service Manual for your specific car. Plus an Electrical Trouble Shooting Manual. Would make finding factory wiring a lot simpler and remove a lot of guessing. Plus, although not fool proof, most G-bodies are wired very similar so there could be a lot of crossover application. And you can always sell them to the next guy that has wiring troubles when you feel you no longer need them.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor