Electrical gremlins.. where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMSC27

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2013
Delmar, delaware
unless it's not catching any kind of signal from the sending units, etc.. i really hate GM wiring.. lol

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
Quickest and easiest was to check the fuel gauge is to pull the 1 wire connector behind the gas tank, un pluged it will go all the way one way and grounded it will go all the way the other was, if gauge still does not work.....( I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me) but I think all the gauges get the same power and ground, one of them could be shorting out, remove one at a time to find the problem one

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i had sort of a simaler problem, what was happening with mine was the lil contacts of the bored were loose and some times would cross-over and touch the wrong part. then when i turn on the right turn signal the gas guage would move back and forth 1/4 of a tank, and the high beam inticator would flash on and off. it was annoying. for a long time my brake lights didnt work, but the flashers and hazards and driving lights would work. it turned out to be the white wire under the steering column where the harnis connector goes. pissed me off BIG TIME! but now it werks.

SMSC27

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2013
Delmar, delaware
i have a couple of loose contacts, but they're just for the cluster lights and aren't close enough to interfer with anything else.. last night, the stupid thing started buzzing when i turned the headlights on.. i pushed on the cluster, my cluster lights came on and the buzzing went away.. so i think my problem is right in there, somewhere.. i'm about to say screw it and find some 1" aftermarket gauges.. lol i'd love to replace the voltmeter with a digital 1" version

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor