Engine and transmission Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986montecarlols

Master Mechanic
Apr 4, 2008
Well today me and my friend we took the motor and transmission out of my dad 91 suburban as it was recently rebuilt but my dad totaled it recently. We are going to swap it out of my 86 monte carlo with the 4.3 sh*t V6. I was just wondering we have the motor and transmission out of his car. But do i have to take his crossmember bar, or anything else out of it before i take it to the scrap yard. We are converting it over to the carb set up instead of throttle body fuel injection. My car currently has the Th200C or w/e sh*t box transmission you know the one without overdrive guys? So am I good to drop it in now or do i need to still take off parts off his chassy. I believe in 91 they were using the 700R4 trans right?

I would suggest grabbing motor mounts, don't know if they are right for the monte, but you will need new motor mounts. If it has a computer(which it probably does)I'd grab that too. Trans probably has computer too, I don't know if it's separate or not. Oh, also grab shift cable if it's a floor shift truck(I don't even know if that exists). I just finished putting a old school carbed 350 and an 84' 700r-4 in my cutlass. I needed a camaro shift lever, shift cable, cable bracket and a new crossmember for my swap and the smallblock clamshell mounts for motor. All non-computerized though.

Lets see... you've got a TBI Monte, and you've got a TBI 350, and you're putting a carb on it? :?
That's a nice step backwards when you've got everything you need to make the fuel injection set up work.

Don't bother taking the Suburban's motor mounts or crossmember, unless you want them taking up space in your garage.
Use the mounts from your V6 for the V8, they should be the same, just in different holes on the frame, so you'll need to move them forward.

It should be a 700-R4 in the Suburban, which leads me to ask, is it 4-wheel drive? If so, leave it.

The mounts from the 4.3 wont work with the 350. You will need to go buy some for a v8 car.

Well in an answer to the person asking me why i would take a step back, first off TBI injection is terribly inefficient, i figure if i put a small like 450 carb ill prolly get close the same gas mileage i would get with TBI. not only that the suburban has a double injector TBI my v6 was a single one which meant the swap would be really goofy. 2ndly the suburban is only a 2 wheel drive so that would all check out. Ill leave the cross member then, in regards to some other things though

is my drive shaft from my transmission going to bolt right up to the 700R4 transmission, or do i need the drive shaft from my dads car or could that give me problem with the rear axle?

in regards to the computer issue, why would i need the computer of the suburban for anything if im going to convert it all to carb ? or is it because the transmission is controlled by a computer? if thats the case how the heck do you hook up the computer to the transmission and yet still run the engine without the computer? part of the reason i want carb is because i hate wires and well i like the old schoolness of carburators.

so one person says i need different motor mounts another says i dont, who is right?

and lastly to avoid even using a computer on the transmission is there anyway to do that?

I don't belive the 91 700r4 were computer controled, but you will need a need drive shaft and a new crossmember for you application, the mounts from your super power house 4.3 should be usable, but since you need more parts test fit your set up first and order second. this swap if pretty easy but you need to make sure you have everything you need prior to starting the swap.

As far as the mounts go, I can tell you that they are different part numbers. And when I swapped the 4.3 for my 383 in my 87 Caprice I went and bought the v8 mounts. I wouldn't worry bout the driveshaft or crossmember from the truck. You will need to modify or buy a custom crossmember and shorten your driveshaft.

I kind of go along with Blake442 on this one. I'm not sure why you believe that the TBI is so inefficient. The 450 carb sounds a bit small for a 350 engine anyway. Normally, a good running 350 would be most efficient with a carb that's in the 600CFM range.

IIRC the newer (88-94) has a different style tail shaft on the transmission so old style drive shafts wont work. I ran across this trying to swap a th400 (the newer equivalent) into an older truck from a 90's model. Definitely will need a modified drive shaft

well ok, first off i dont want TBI like most people who run their carbs, TBI just sucks plain and simple dont make me start commenting about why, the most important one though is that you can get a lot more power from carb then from TBI and way cheaper too

2ndly ill have to just see how it all goes in and what not, i believe everyone is right though about the motor mounts not fitting up ill just have to see if they do or not. and lastly ill have to see how the drive shaft fits in, doesnt seem however it will work though like you guys are all saying, might have to go to a junk yard or somthing for that part, i wonder if a drive shaft from a 305 monte ss or anything would work? anyone know

can anyone give me links to the drive shaft that i will need? or can a shop do this thing for me somehow, and lastly is it smart to buy used motor mounts as long the boot is ok? i mean they are cheap as hell at the junk yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor