Engine hestitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirteenwithinfinity

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2008
Tigard, OR
I noticed that my car will hesitate once maybe a minute or two after starting it up. Not sure if thats a bad sign or not, or just a fuel line problem.

But yeah, it'll start right up, gotta give it a little gas to keep it running then it'll run fine. Then I'll take it around the corner and 2-3 minutes itll hesitate briefly, then work fine. It won't do it again afterwards and run fine all day otherwise.

It's a 267 V8, by the way, coupled to a turbo 350.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Sounds like the choke is not working properly. I have the same problem with my Edelbrock carb seeing as I have no choke at all.

Is your engine stock and what is done to it?

thirteenwithinfinity

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2008
Tigard, OR
pokertramp said:
Sounds like the choke is not working properly. I have the same problem with my Edelbrock carb seeing as I have no choke at all.

Is your engine stock and what is done to it?

It's as stock as you're gonna get, save for an edelbrock air cleaner and a magnaflow high flow cat. The old muffler was stolen off the car for some reason, so I've been putting around without it here and there waiting to get a new one.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
The hesitation could be considered normal if you have one of those Edelbrock or other "high performance" air filters. Using them eliminates the stock air horn and ThermAC system. The ThermAC system aids cold engine driveability by drawing heated intake air off one of the exhaust manifolds while the engine is cold. Without it, you might need to set your choke a bit richer or just put up with the hesitation until the engine is warmed up. Also check and see if the vacuum break is working. This is a vacuum diaphragm on the carb that pulls the choke open a crack just after the engine starts to keep the mixture from being overly rich just after cold startup. Another thing can be an EGR valve that is sticking open and needs cleaning.

-UT-

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
My stock 3.8L and dualjet carb does the exact same thing. Right after I start before it's warmed up. After that runs great.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
bowtie81 said:
could also be the accelerator pump

Wouldnt the accelerator pump cause problems all of the time?

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
no bc if the diaphram is leaking a bit, when you first start the car after sitting all night the gas leaks out. and when you first start it it's going to have a bog until it gets full again. then its fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor