Engine Oil - '80-86 305 SBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I spent $40 on 5 quarts of Lucas Hot Rod Motor Oil, specifically because it had zinc in it...

I can't keep paying that... Is zinc really a must have ?

I've had an '82 Impala, a '78 Impala, and an '86 Monte Carlo... Never had to use zinc specific oil in those engines...

I read and see so many other options...

Factory specs call for 5w-30, I've read others say 10w-30 in the winter and 10w-40 in the summer, some say use cheap oil and add a zinc additive, and I even read some using Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil...

I just don't and can't blow a bunch of money on zinc specific oil, and I'm sure there are cheaper options...

What exactly is zinc used for ?

How does 15w-40 diesel oil work in gasoline engines ?

Can someone explain and recommend something cheaper ?

John Wm. Zick

Drag Racer Forever !!!
Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2021
Winter Haven, Florida
I spent $40 on 5 quarts of Lucas Hot Rod Motor Oil, specifically because it had zinc in it...

I've had an '82 Impala, a '78 Impala, and an '86 Monte Carlo... Never had to use zinc specific oil in those engines...

Factory specs call for 5w-30, I've read others say 10w-30 in the winter and 10w-40 in the summer, some say use cheap oil and add a zinc additive, and I even read some using Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil...

I just don't and can't blow a bunch of money on zinc specific oil, and I'm sure there are cheaper options...

It depends on how bad you want to keep the engines in good shape Tynan.... Yer NOT going to find a cheap oil that will be good for those engines. The new oils are designed for "Roller" engines, not flat tappet style. Also Zinc in oil is sacrificial and all the ads that say they have the most zinc is bullshit because the epa mandates the limit of zinc that the oil producers can put in the product. Use you should use a oil with "Moly" in it. Such as Schaeffer Oil or Liqui-moly. That's far superior to "zinc!"

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

This still a thing? Everyone likes and has different ideas on the ideal oil, everyone has their opinion. Get a 10W40, non synthetic motorcycle, mix with cheap oil or mix a couple of quarts of cheap to a high ZDDP hotrod oil if you are worried about a worn 305 failing.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Oil is the lifeblood of your mill. You can cheap out but sooner or later you will pay the price. For myself I use Royal Purple. it is a DExos 2 version and a 6 pack is over a C-note a box. If you do go main stream with your brand of oil, by all means get the additive. it is cheap insurance against the danger of killing a cam lobe and having to do an engine snatch and teardown. When I finally am able to refire the Monte's mill, for sure i will be adding a bottle of ZDDP, even though that oil will only be in there just long enough tor it to circulate and get hot. At that point it will come out and new oil and filter will go in.

Nick

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016

just did oil change on my car using the same oil. its a rebuilt Olds 455,i was told to use high zinc oil on all my oil changes. its a little expense but if that what it takes so be it. one thing I've learn when it come to keeping these old cars running as best as possible, it can be expensive. I guess the high zinc oil give a little added protection on the money you invest on a rebuild.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor